Chapter Seven

"To what do I owe this visit?" Kieran asked. "It's not everyday that the royals of Rievelt show up at my doorstep at once."

"Hm." Princess Debra, narrowed her eyes at Kieran. "Unable to cope with your absence in the kingdom, I too, departed. And I return only to find out that you're getting married, yet...you've been back just a few days."

Joshua, now standing next to the Prince, mouthed an "Oh", sensing trouble from the Princess' calm, yet intimidating tone.

"You were a bachelor the last time I saw you, Kieran. Now you're suddenly in courtship," she continued. "Knowing my knave of a brother to be quite the jester, I could not believe it when he said so; I had to come here to hear it from you."

"Your brother speaks the truth," Kieran told her and stepped back, finding she was too close for comfort. "I have found a bride."

There was a moment of silence, which was only disrupted by the sound of fast, shabbily shuffling footsteps, accompanied by the noisy thump and clatter of a satchel. Enoch thus appeared and landed next to Luke, his  fingers tracing the thick strap of his satchel. He was panting loudly, his face folded and worn out as though he was fighting for air.

"Your royal highnesses are too fast," he choked out between blustering breaths.

Luke and Josh glared at him, and Luke gave him a whack on the back of his head.

"Read the atmosphere, fool," he growled and motioned to Debra and Kieran.

Rubbing his head, Enoch saw the two of them and held his breath.

Debra lowered her head, at last letting up on her gaze on Kieran. She felt an ache within her chest when he confirmed his coming marriage.

"I had hoped you would say otherwise," she murmured, her eyes searching the ground. "This can nolonger be a pleasurable visit, Kieran."

"What are you saying, sister?" Luke cut in, attempting a light hearted tone. "You made us leave the castle so early, we didn't even have breakfast. Now, I don't know about you, but I'm famished. Why don't we all have a meal together since we're already here, eh?"

His aim was to lift the mood, and also make Debra eat, because she could be quite thoughtless when she was hungry.

"Yes, yes of course," Josh agreed right away, aware of the princess' cranky habits. "I'll have the servants organise the meal in the pavilion, and inform the others of your presence. Aira will be glad to see you, Princess."

Debra turned to Joshua and smiled for the first time that morning.

"We'll talk more after I eat." She intended the words for Kieran. Even though she was facing Joshua, they all knew she was talking to Kieran, and offered him sympathetic looks at the same time.

*****     *****     *****     *****

Aira had been practicing archery with Ray's help out in the gardens next to the gazebo. He would toss the projectiles (planks of wood) in succession, and she had to shoot them all before they hit the ground. Her ambitious self made sure to strike them all at their their apex. This meant she had to use an insane amount of speed to repetitively pick an arrow from her quiver, draw the string and release the shot.

She did all this without batting an eyelash.

However, when she heard the news of Debra's arrival, she immediately dropped her equipment and ran, leaving her brother behind.
She leaped over the small flight of steps that lead to the back lawns in one motion, and headed straight for the pavilion, excitement flooding her veins.

"Debbie!" she screamed as she lunged into the Princess' arms, nearly knocking them both over. They were currently outside the pavilion as the servants prepared the breakfast.