Chapter Thirty-seven

It was a miracle how Aaron's breathing managed to return to normal by the time Kieran came back, and Elena could not believe how calm and indifferent he was.

He actually smiled at his brother as if he had not nearly thrown up his lungs earlier.

Nevertheless, she did make him promise to take his medication the moment he reached back home.

She thought Aaron was a strong person to be able to withstand such pain for such a long time and still be able to smile like the sun; and she couldn't help but thank the heavens that he was surrounded by people who loved him dearly.

Elena chose not to think about the fortune – more like premonition – anymore. She chose to believe in Kieran, that they would be able to change what might happen, and discarded the omen to the back of her brain.

Besides, she had more pressing crises to attend to; like her younger sister who had been chanting, "A ride with the Hammedathas!" as she skipped in Elena's bed-chamber, since dawn.

Mara was still in her nightgown and her head was wrapped in a bird's nest that was her hair.

"Not the Hammedathas, but the Hammedatha siblings," Elena corrected, watching her sister run around in circles like a little kid. "Stop revolving, you are making me dizzy."
She brought her legs underneath her on the bed, crossing them.

She continued to sew up the gaping hole in Mara's dress. She hadn't even bothered to ask when Mara brought the dress to her that morning - it would probably be a ninety-two page long story.

Mara stopped and faced Elena. "It's still an exciting event. You'll have a picnic with them as well. Where do you think you're going?"

Elena shrugged, her eyes on her work.
"No idea. If you had agreed to come along, you would have found out from Aira."

"I told you, I'm meeting the girls for a tea party today," Mara said, brushing her fingers through her hair, as if it would make any difference to its current state.

Elena looked up and grimaced. "You actually were not lying about that?"

"We're going to discuss the recent ruling on the adjustment of fines to different offences," Mara said, her eyes sparkling. "Uncle Abraham sent me a copy, and the girls and I wish to review it."

Elena knew her sister's dream was to become a justice of the court. And if she succeeded, she'd be the first female justice in Rievelt. Elena believed in her. She was intelligent and liked to read, unlike herself.

"I already wrote down my review of the ruling. Would you like to tell me your thoughts?"

Elena frowned, pausing her sewing. "I'd love to, but I do not think I will be very helpful," she admitted. "I'm not well-read, like you."

Mara sighed. "You're right. It would take a long while for me to explain everything so you could understand."

"Sorry I cannot help."

"Hey, hey, hey, why are you apologizing?" Mara admonished. "I have to get ready for my tea party slash discussion slash debate and you have to get ready to meet your future-in-laws. Both are equally important since they concern our future."

Elena was pondering. At last, she got an idea. "Why don't we do this? You can help me get ready for the horseback riding quickly, so I can have time to listen to your review."

Mara narrowed her eyes. "You're not allowed to back out after I start explaining to you the offences and respective fines."

Elena stretched out her hand and grinned. "Deal."