Chapter thirty-six

A plan had been made by the Hammedatha siblings and Elena to go horseback riding two days after the festival. Only, an exuberant Elena decided to show up at Hammedatha Manor before then, carrying a picnic basket full of goodies for Kieran.

She was in a good mood, until she was duly informed that he was in his study, having a contentious discussion with Princess Debra.

“What!”

The three brothers flinched at the sudden slamming of the basket on the table amidst the sitting room.

“I wasn’t aware that a basket could make such a sound,” Ray mumbled, looking apprehensively between a grouching Elena and the basket.

“It’s work related,” Aaron said quickly, shifting his weight from one foot to another. “Something about-”

“I understand,” Elena cut him off, somewhat impatiently. “But when will he leave her? Erm…leave the study?”

Aaron glanced at Joshua, who was settled in a sofa, sharpening his dagger.

“Must be soon,” Aaron replied and glanced behind Elena. “Well, speak of the devil.”

Elena turned around and saw Kieran march in alongside the kingdom’s princess – who was looking as foxy, and scary, as always – the both of them engaged in conversation.

His front hair was held back in a short ponytail, the rest of it resting on his shoulders; and Elena’s lips quirked into a small smile when she noticed the flame pattern of the hair tie she had given him.

“Elena,” A surprised Kieran said, stopping in his tracks when he noticed her. “Wasn’t expecting you until tomorrow.”

Princess Debra folded her arms and narrowed her eyes at Elena, “Wasn’t expecting you at all.”

A part of her still felt intimidated by the princess, but she could at least hold her gaze without backing down or feeling less and unsure of herself.

“I wanted to see you,” Elena said to Kieran.

Princess Debra rolled her eyes. “Well, your efforts have been in vain because the General and I are kind of busy right now,” she said and emphasized, “Important stuff. Looks like you’ll have to wait.”

Elena kept her eyes on the princess. “No, I will not.”

The sound Joshua had been making whilst sharpening his knife ceased, and she could feel his eyes on her.

Princess Debra smirked. “So you shall leave.”

“You don’t have to go,” Kieran cut in, gazing at Elena. “I'll finish up things with Debra quickly, and then I will come to you.”

Elena exhaled. The problem was that she did not want him to stay with the princess at all. But how was she supposed to get her feelings across without sounding selfish?

Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted Ray and Aaron, who were shaking their heads at her, subtly. And Aaron mouthed the words she read as, “Talk back,” while Ray mouthed the words she read as, “Grab him.”

Grab him?

She remembered something Ray had babbled to her at the festival in his intoxicated state.

Kieran’s always picking what Aira wants instead of what I want, even when my needs make much more sense! And you know why he does that? Because she is a vixen, that’s why.

"She only needs to coo, “brotheeeerrr,’ and make that silly pout and he’s a goner, just like that. Everyone thinks he’s got an adamant will, but actually, he is pretty weak, sister-in-law. I bet when you get married, you will be the one making him bend.”