Chapter Thirty-nine

Mara was resting in Aira’s bed-chamber at Hammedatha Manor. She had only been informed of the fact that Kieran knew where Elena had been taken, and that he would have her back home by the next morning.

He had made her promise to calm herself and not tell the Riveras about Elena’s predicament, because he didn’t want them to worry.

“Tell your parents that Elena will be sleeping at Hammedatha Manor tonight, per Aira’s invitation,” he had said.

Kieran knew Elena would be shaken up by the time they rescued her, and thought it best if she rested the night at Hammedatha Manor, so her parents would not be suspicious about her state.

The Hammedatha siblings were currently in the Guard’s meeting chamber, with Kieran leaning in one corner of the room, his arms folded and his eyes burning holes in the large mahogany table.

Anyone could sense the dark aura surrounding him, and his siblings had wisely maintained their distance as they huddled together to discuss the situation in hushed tones.

“How can someone be so stupid to provoke Kieran like this?” Joshua asked, his hands in the pockets of his black leather jacket. “I simply can’t believe how little Prince Jairah thinks of his life.”

Aaron nodded. “Kieran is going to kill him.”

Ray scoffed. “Only that? He’ll definitely torture him first, that’s for sure.”

“I’ve heard pint-size call him ill, but I didn’t know it was this bad,” Aira stated, and they all hummed in agreement.

The sudden bang as the doors were flung open alarmed them all.

“Alright, we got here as quickly as we could so let’s get this situation assessment going, shall we?” Debra announced casually as she strutted towards the table, her brother in tow.

Everyone else except Kieran moved to stand around the table.

“One thing we all agree on is there is no way we’re getting my sister married to that mongrel,” Luke said, giving a sharp look to each of them. “We conduct this rescue mission without the king’s knowledge and without an exchange.”

“That’s well and good, sire, but what is the back story here?” Ray asked. “The letter clearly indicated the existence of one and I-”

“We,” Aaron corrected.

“-we are very curious.” Ray looked pointedly between Kieran and Debra.

“I could have figured it out and told you if you had let me read that letter,” said a miffed Aira.

“No.” Aaron, Joshua and Raymond gave a firm chorus.

Aira groaned. “I want to know the details too!”

“Aira, go and bring my golden vambraces,” Kieran spoke for the first time.

“But they’re all the way in the Western wing!” she whined.

Now.” Kieran flashed his dark cyan eyes at her, his tone final.

Aira swallowed and flexed her gloved fingers. With a resigned sigh, she departed from the room.

The silence was broken by Kieran’s voice. “Your question, Raymond, would be best answered by the Princess.”

At once, all the men’s heads turned to Debra, who raised her palms in mock surrender.

“Oh sure, cause it’s my fault a delusional lad got obsessed with me,” she said, but couldn’t shake the awaiting gazes.

She sighed. “Anyway, what Jairah and I had wasn’t anything concrete. It was sort of like what Kieran and I do.”