Chapter Nineteen - Wit

Clenching your fists behind your back as you stood at attention had started to feel like second nature at this point. What didn't feel so great was how scrutinized you felt underneath Doomfists gaze, or how he would whisper lowly to your instructor, and scoff at whatever he replied with.

At this point, you had begun to become familiar with the presence of someone as powerful as The Successor, the crushing reality that he could destroy you with a single look. Sure, it started to become familiar, but that didn't mean it had gotten any easier, not in the slightest.

You were in a smaller meeting room with the other five recruits from your testing, your two main trainers, and two others you didn't recognize were in the room as well. Of course, Doomfist was the head of them all, speaking to them over matters you couldn't hope to place, over matters you didn't want to place.

Arturo stood to your left and Quinn to your right, Graham stood beside Arturo, and the other men beside Quinn, all in a neat line.

From what you could tell, a few of the inner council members would be arriving shortly, who that consisted of you weren't sure. With all your might, you tried not to think about it too much, you knew that would only bring you more anxiety, and judging by the way your heart raced against your ribs, you didn't think that would be the best idea.

"She should be here shortly," Doomfist stated to Miller, slightly annoyed already.

You gulped at his voice raising, reminding you of the little occasion with Reaper that had happened the day previous. Really, why couldn't you get rid of this guy?

The large metal door of the room swung open, and a grizzly, purpled arm snaked its way around the edge of it first, followed by the redheaded doctor you instantly recognized as Moira o'deorain.

Trying to suppress any signs of immediate dread, you looked away from her, making sure to stare straight ahead at the wall.

For a reason you couldn't quite place, you got a striking sense of fear from that woman. Whether it be from her blatant distaste for you, or simply the way her piercing eyes seemed to trace everyone's form with a sense of disregard, you didn't know.

You noticed how Arturo allowed himself to steal a glance at you, and he looked to open his mouth to speak, thankfully enough, Doomfist spoke before either of you could get into any real trouble.

"Good to see you, doctor," He exclaimed, setting a heavy hand on her back after approaching her, earning a thump from the force.

"Please don't call me that," Moira replied, plucking his large hand from her back.

He laughed dryly at this, and gestured for her to commune with your instructors, giving her a small holopad to look through.

She nodded and scanned through the documents on the pad, before looking back to her colleagues, chattering away about something that most likely concerned the lot of you.

Just an hour before, you could've sworn Arturo was becoming something similar to a friend, but with the looks hes been giving you since lunch, you couldn't really say he was anything close to that ballpark now. That, or you were terribly bad at reading people's expressions, and you were sure it wasn't the latter.

The council quickly looked back to you all, eyes even more menacing than usual.

With a huff, moira took a few stops closer to your little line, "I suppose you're all wondering why you're here..?"

She asked, looking over her nose to take a good look at everyone before continuing.

"Well, I'm sure you've noticed by now that you're all much more, skilled, than your peers," she followed, pacing down your small line, "We usually have more of you, but it seems everyone else needs more training."