Chapter Twenty - Moonlight

There wasn't much you could do besides agreeing to speak to him. You went along with it out of pure curiosity as to what he had to say, and a nervousness to what he would do if you declined.

You made a point to trail behind him out of the room, not even knowing if you were allowed to leave. Thinking about it for a moment, you supposed it didn't matter much, wasn't like you were ever explicitly told to not exit.

"So," you began, eyes making contact with his, "What was it that you wanted to talk about?"

His eyebrow raised, expecting you to already know what was up.

"Come on.." he sighed, "What the hell was that all about? In the meeting room."

Arturo stated, seemingly a bit annoyed.

Thankfully, it didn't faze you much, as you had grown accustomed to grown men throwing hissy fits as of late. Though truthfully, you understood his blatant frustration. The whiplash of The Successor was all too great, and whatever he had just sat through couldn't have been much better.

"Well, god, how do I put this," you began, already knowing you would never dream of telling Arturo how you got in, so telling him a half truth would have to suffice, "I got into some trouble. Okay? Talon decided I'd work for them once they found out, so now I'm here."

You feigned joy, coming off as sarcastic.

His lips pressed into a thin line, he was obviously mulling over your answer, and didn't seem to really buy it.

"Alright.. Well, why are they on your case so much?"

He appeared to decidedly gloss over your shitty explanation.

You allowed yourself to flash a half serious smirk, "I did beat one of their best trainers to a pulp," you punched into your own hand, accentuating the act, "smart mouthed em a few times, aaand a few other, trivial things."

Yea, like making out with one of their council members was trivial. But, he didn't need to know that.

He nodded curtly, satisfied enough with your half baked answers. Arturo was smart enough to know he wouldn't be able to squeeze more information out of you.

"They are pretty bitching, you gotta admit," he rolled, flashing a classic shit eating grin.

You laughed, glad to see he was trying to shift the mood.

"And hot, too," you half joked, "Like, scary hot. They could punch me and I'd thank them."

The man beside you erupted into a barrel of laughs.

"Dude they- they have to be into that shit. I mean, have you seen their clothes?? Very fruity." He added on, chucking in between words.

You grinned at this, covering your mouth to stop yourself from scream laughing. Somehow, making fun of some of the scariest people you've ever met was very liberating.

"We should stop," you looked around the hallway, although it was barren, you could see a guard every now and then, "Someone might hear us."

The words came through a smile, obvious you wanted to continue, but knew better.

Arturo hesitated for a moment, but agreed with a nod and a tired grin.

You perked up, and began to head back into the room, before he stopped you with his hand on your shoulder. You looked back to him to be met with curious eyes.

"Wait, (Y/N)."

He sighed, trying to find the words.

"Are you sure you want to be here?" he questioned, voice barely above a whisper, "I mean, I'm not so sure myself."