Chapter Sixteen - Fleeting

A/N - Really quick before you start reading (I have gotten a few comments about this, so i decided I wanted to clear this up), but at the time of writing this I decided to make the reader insert character to be 5'10, as height comes up very often and I enjoy to describe other characters based on that comparison to the reader.  I can understand how this may break immersion but I personally enjoy to read fanfictions that aren't complete blank slates, so thats how I write my own fanfiction. sorry if it becomes distracting! this is pretty much the only time height will be outright stated (other than allusions or comparisons) for the rest of the story. happy reading!

Your lip quivered and your heart ached as a pair of armed guards carried you down a seemingly endless hallway.  The meeting had ended a couple of minutes ago, and it seemed as though everyone had mixed emotions over you joining, and you were none the wiser due to your racing heart and mind. 

Ever since you came here you've been stressed, and to know that you were expected to join them only made you sick to your stomach, hell, you didn't even fully grasp what they even did yet! 

You heard bits and pieces of what this organization did in a debriefing between you and Doomfist after everyone else filed out of the room, save for a guard or two.  He thought it was necessary to tell you that you would be heading over to their medical wing so you could get a routine check just before you made your way to his personal office so you could, talk, more.  You both knew it would be a one-sided conversation, but he seemed to act like he cared, which made it pleasant, at best.

Your thoughts, funnily enough, made their way back to Reaper, the very man who had been sending you the most mixed signals of any guy you had ever talked to.  One minute, he's trying to comfort you and apologize for something you didn't even know about, and another he's barging into you and making you feel like shit!  

You couldn't even tell how you felt about him any more, whether it was a feeling of warmth, neutrality, disgust, or even fear, you didn't know.  All you knew was that whatever this place was didn't feel right, he didn't feel right.

Ripping your racing mind away from the self destructive thoughts you were facing, you decided to keep yourself focused on the hallway in front of you, and thankfully, it seemed that you found yourself just where you needed to be, the medical wing.

With fast footsteps and the pain of your chains rubbing against your wrists, you made it into a small, personalized doctors office of sorts. You only had a moment to look around before the familiar red headed woman popped up from behind a medical curtain, a neutral expression with knotted brows, and a large clipboard carried in her spindly hands.

Before you could introduce yourself, she took the lead, bowing down only slightly to meet your similar height, hand prompted for you to shake, "(Y/N) (L/N), the new recruit, you'll find my name is Moira, but you may call me Dr. O'Deorain," she said matter-of-factly.

You took her hand with a tad of hesitation, attempting to meet her different colored eyes, only to be met with hidden hostility and disdain.

"It's, nice, to meet you, Doctor." you spoke, nearly fumbling over your sentence as you tried to find the words, your anxiety putting a smirk onto her crooked lips.

Straightening her posture, she flitted her hand at the guards, apparently a sign they were no longer needed as the fled the area, leaving you alone with the sinister woman.

"Sit here." she said, gesturing to a large medical seat that was wrapped in plastic, and a thin sheet of wax paper.

You complied, hoisting yourself onto the tall seat as she fumbled with something in her coat's pockets, before pulling out a key, and freeing you from your restraints.