Chapter Seven - Cardinal

Art by stormcallart on tumblr

Reapers POV

"Why did I have to be so stupid!" the absolutely enraged man exclaimed, punching a hole straight through his room's wall, cementing its place just near the dozens around it.

He swept a blackened smoking hand through his hair, he had lost his composure, Moira said that this would happen eventually, that this would happen, with you.He couldn't stand the thought of hurting you in anyway, in hurting you again. He'd already done it when he pushed you away, and again when he nearly choked you out. Why couldn't he control himself, what was wrong with him?

He felt anger pulsate through him again, but before he could act on it, his door creaked open, turning his attention to the woman who walked through it.

"Moira," he instantly recognized the ghastly arm and striking red hair, "Gabriel," she imitated him, giving him a near disgusted look up and down, before going stone cold once again.

"why don't you look more," she gestured to his unclothed upper body, "presentable."

He grunted at her nagging tone, she always seemed to find something wrong with him, his temper, the way he dressed, and a million other things that wouldn't even take her a second to name. He used to enjoy the now cold woman's presence, she used to be kind, warm even, what happened to that

"Anyway, I'm sure you know about that formal Talon meetup tonight? It's been organized especially for one of your latest victories." She nearly scoffed at the last part, obviously not thinking much of whatever the man had worked hard for.

"Of course I remembered," he growled, looking over at one of his best suits he had laid out the night previous, "I've been working towards this for months."

She gave him a look that suggested otherwise, and truthfully, the soft spot she once had for Gabriel died out, instead a deeper, darker emotion was held for him. She would never admit that she had turned him into something vile, yet she knew what she had done deep down.

Turning to make her leave, she slipped through the door, before turning her gaze over her shoulder to tell the man one last thing, "Oh, and before I go Gabriel, don't you dare go visit your little pet again, you know what'll happen to her if you do," she glanced at the numerous holes in the wall, "you can hardly control yourself as it is."

Gabriel nearly yelled at her, his arms turning into a thick black smoke as she left, accompanied by his cheeks rotting out, he threw yet another punch into the wall, sending bits of wooden shrapnel into his hand and room.

Your POV

You had seldom left your house for anything other than groceries or work for the week since Reyes had left you, for a time that he nearly implied to be forever. You just didn't know if you could take it. Ever since you first met the man you knew something was different about him, something that you just adored, but now that you knew he hid something much deeper from you made you nauseous.

A day or two after he left you worked up the nerve to search up his nickname that he had originally given you. You hadn't done it before as to not invade his privacy or even be a stalker, but since he had said his goodbyes, you didn't quite see a reason not to.

What you found left you shocked, you saw news article after news article showing off flashy pictures of the "costume" you had seen him wearing previously. Declaring him to be a "murderer", a "terrorist", and a dozen other names you didn't care to recall.

He seemed so sweet, so nice, so caring. How could he kill people?

You began to note the sharp razor like claws on each finger, or the stench of death that seemed to follow him everywhere he went, the deep, red glowing glint in his eyes. This didn't help to make him look anymore innocent, it only cemented the fact in your mind of what he had done.