Chapter Twenty-Four - Dread

A/N Quick question!! (pls answer) do y'all like Arturo? I'm sure you've noticed him in the story so far. I thought he'd be a good addition to the fic to make it seem more natural. He's a bit of an oc I made esp for this story. Anyways, enjoy this one!

"Boo!" Arturo purred over your shoulder.

A loud bang erupted into the room, and you yelled at the top of your lungs.

"FUCK!" you exasperated, hands shaking as you nearly fumbled your gun from your grasp, "WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR PROBLEM?"

All Arturo could do in response was laugh like a goddamn maniac, arms clutching his middle and tears sparking into his eyes.

You, Arturo, and Reaper were all in the shooting range practicing for your upcoming mission. After you both proved yourselves being capable of handling the firearms, you were allowed to train there with Reaper's permission. But shooting for over an hour each day could get boring pretty quick, especially when you couldn't stop worrying over an upcoming death sentence.

"You should've-" he cackled, "you should've seen your face!"

His index finger pointed up to you as he doubled over in laughter. You desperately tried to resist the smile that was begging to appear on your lips.

"What the SHIT happened?" Reaper intruded, standing in between you and Arturo with his hands on his hips.

His out-of-place and late introduction sent you over the edge, and you couldn't help but begin to burst into laughs with your friend.

"I- I scared the fuck out of Y/N, that's what happened." Arturo managed to squeak out, head shaking from side to side as his hands were on his knees.

You could only nod in confirmation, a grin showing off your pearly whites.

Reaper sighed after a moment, tired of you already.

"Just don't go shooting holes in the shooting range. Would you?" He grunted, walking back to the station he was originally at.

Arturo gave him a thumbs up, too caught up in his joke to do anything else.

Still smiling, you slipped your earmuffs back onto your ears. While every atom in your body wanted to continue laughing and joking with Arturo, your rational side knew your mission was nearing closer and closer, and you couldn't afford to get too off track.

Arturo continued to chuckle to himself but noted how you began to refocus yourself, and he did something of the same. Shrugging his earmuffs back on, he gripped onto his brand new gun, a slightly oversized desert eagle, it was the first gun he picked up, and the one he had taken a shining to.

You overheard plans for him to be given a second, longer-range gun in case he needed it. You guessed he wouldn't, giving him anything else would be like letting a bull rampage a china shop.

Your weapon was a bit different. It was a mismatch of a rifle, and a shotgun, if you wanted to be more accurate, you could call it a combination gun. One had a barrel for a rifle, and the other for said shotgun. You could switch barrels by the press of the button, something that would be extremely efficient out on the field. Ordinarily, that type of gun would be used for hunting exclusively, but you managed to get your hands on it anyway.

With a smirk, you repositioned your gun back into the crook of your arm, aiming down the sights as you switched the barrel from smoothbore to rifled. Perfect for the range and aim you wanted to take.