Chapter Twenty-Seven - Alight

Ough god.. Did NOT realize the kind of cliffhanger I left yall on. Hopefully this update makes up for it! We are finally getting into the good stuff~ this next arc is really exciting!

A sharp pain bolstered your skull, and the soft hum of LEDs pierced your ears. A moment passed and your eyes pried open, slowly but surely to a room of pure whites and sterile air. Your brain lagged behind for a few seconds, too focused on the radiating aches from your entire body, but especially your shoulder.

Everything seemed to move in slow motion, the cool temperature of the room pressed over your skin, and the silky soft sheets draped over your limbs. All you could register was the throb from your muscles and the bullet wound.

A few blinks from your eyes, and it clicked. You had no goddamned clue where you were.

Panic was thrust into your veins and a trickle of goosebumps traveled over your being, making you feel painfully alive in no time at all. You bristled against your sheets, attempting to brace your arms against the bedding, only for you to realize that you had been restrained to the spot.

Familiar hardlight cuffs were locked onto your wrists, and with a small kick, you knew your legs were too. If your heart wasn't beating a million miles a minute before, then it certainly was now.

Fatigue was too present in your brain for you to hear the bleating of your heartbeat on some kind of medical monitor. Instead, all of your power was concentrated into your good arm.

You forced your restrained arm forward, feeling the beginnings of a bend in the soft metal of the bed frame, and hearing the creaking of the chains. You felt like your muscles were on fire, though the adrenaline pumping through your veins helped you to throw any previous concerns out the window.

Another bend reverberated into your cuffs, but when you heard the clacking of heels against tile, you paused in an instant.

You listened in earnest to the noise, and a shiver traveled down your spine when you knew it to be on a quick trot straight towards you. With all of your might, you willed your arm to continue its break from the bed, but you just couldn't seem to muster the strength. The beads of sweat forming on your brow were all too apparent.

Where the hell even were you, what kind of organization? It couldn't have been Talon, the enemy had captured you! The man you trusted, his sweet words and lulls of bringing you to safety? It was all a lie, it had to be, why else would you be chained to a bed, all alone?

What would they do when they reached you? Would they be kind enough to release you, or would they imprison you, ring you of all the information you gathered on Talon?

Your jaw set in a sense of conviction, while you didn't truly know any trade secrets, you still knew of innerworkings that the enemy could only dream of getting a peak at. In your mind, you solidified yourself to never spill over, to resist their methods, no matter what they were.

The clack- clack- clacking of heels on tiles only became louder and louder, all the way up until the door burst open with vigor, a tallish, platinum blonde woman on the other side. You only had a few moments to memorize her face, with her piercing blue eyes and knotted eyebrows—conveying a look you could only describe as worried.

She wore a white lab coat and black scrubs, her hair thrown back into one of the messier ponytails you had seen. Her form was paused in the doorway for a moment, her eyes traveling over you analytically, though they seemed to gravitate toward your warped bed frame.