CH. TWO | Faith

THE LOUD RINGING OF BELLS sounded throughout the training grounds as we all lined up. Everyone scurried to get in place, avoiding a scolding for ruining the formation so desperately needed to keep us in check.

Commander Magath went down the 3 rows formed, changing posture and assigning more training to those who were unlucky to get caught. I stood still, hands tucked behind my back. Pieck was to my right, Annie to my left.

I began to sweat nervously, random things filling my head. There was only one thing I was truly worried about.

What if my prediction was true?

------------------------

It was a peaceful morning till we got a brief announcement that one of the Warriors would be coming to observe us. Word got around quick and everyone grew excited, yet nervous.

"Do you think they're here to pick a successor?" I asked Pieck, who shrugged and continued replacing the daggers used for hand-to-hand combat.

"That is a possible outcome. Maybe they're just here to evaluate for a choice. They do only have two weeks left until we get chosen."

"I hope so! Gosh I'm extremely excited!" I exclaimed, throwing my arms around Pieck and pulling her into a hug. She returned my gesture slightly, before sighing.

"I'm kind of scared to become a Warrior, Y/N." she confessed as I looked at her with a shocked gaze.

"Just to think that you only have thirteen years to live, that's so little time if you really count it." her expression grew sad and gloomy.

I pitied her, yet tried to brighten the mood again.

"It'll be okay, Pieck. We will fulfill our duties, which is the best honor. Bringing power to Marley is what we want, right?"

Her dull eyes looked into mine, a spark of hope flashed through them as I smile gently at her.

"I'll be there to accompany you all 13 years, and you know it."

------------------------

"All Candidates, today's activities you will be sparring with a preferred opponent. As you all know, a Warrior has taken time from their duties and will be observing you."

I fought back the urge to groan in disappointment.

'Sparring? Again? Isn't that the third time this week? My arms and legs are getting sore using all my force and these weaklings.'

I was brought out of my thoughts by a poke to my side. Annie side-eyed me as I stared back at her in confusion.

My attention was then brought back to Commander Magath, who was standing a few feet in front of me with an ice cold glare that made me shiver.

'Eek, better watch for when I zone out.'

"L/N, you will not be participating for this activity. Please step to the sidelines." the Commander said, motioning to the benches placed against the Unit building.

I gave a puzzled look, yet obeyed and walked slowly to the metal bench.

'Why am I sitting out? Did I do something wrong?'

Commander was now standing next to me, observing the other kids spar. I witnessed the others get flipped, kicked, shoved, and punched right in the face.

It made me cringe realizing that I partially would do that to half of them, especially when I exceeded mostly everyone in this unit for strength.

"Y/N." Commander Magath spoke as I glanced up at him, my body stiffening.