Chapter 10 - Royal Deceit

"How is that possible?" you frown at Thor, who shrugs.

"My brother has many hiding places in this realm. And others, for that matter," he answers. "It will take time to find him."

"It's been six hours," you groan, frustrated,  as you lean back against the post of your bed. "I told him to take a walk. Not to disappear for half a day."

"I could try the gardens once more," Thor offers. "I know of no other place my brother is wont to spend quite so much time."

"No, it's fine," you relent. "He'll come back when he's ready. Besides, you have that thing to get ready for."

"My war council," Thor corrects. "With the Lady Sif's return, I must-."

"Yeah, that's right. Sif's back," you interrupt, eyeing the God who suddenly won't make eye contact with you, and whose cheeks have taken on the slightest hue of pink. "I like her. She's pretty cool."

"Indeed," Thor nods, clearing his throat and straightening his posture. "She is a fierce warrior."

"And you need to summon a war council within a couple hours of her getting back from being gone for so long because...?" you trail off. 

"B-because her mission was of the upmost importance and I need her report immediately," Thor stammers, with a surprising amount of confidence despite his faltering start. 

"Mhmm," you hum, eyeing him skeptically.

Thor stands awkwardly in the center of the room for a moment. But you show him mercy, and break the silence by giving him an out. "You should go and get ready," you say. "Wouldn't want to keep Sif waiting."

"The others will be waiting as well," he says quickly. "It would be improper to-."

"Brother."

Thor is cut off by a voice from over his shoulder, somewhere in the doorway. Thor turns, and through the gap in his profile you spot Loki, his robes of ivory and cloak of gold gone - replaced by his usual leather. 

"There you are!" you gasp, pushing off the post of your bed and running past Thor, straight into Loki's open arms. He holds you close, your arms wrapped around his neck as you bury your face in the sweetly spiced curls that fall in tresses of midnight black on his shoulders. "Where have you been?" you question.

Loki huffs in stale laughter. "Walking it off, darling," he replies.

You pull back and shoot him a frown, but Loki simply tucks a lock behind your ear. 

"This is fortuitous timing, brother," Thor thunders as he comes up behind you. "Sif has returned. The war council reassembles."

"How nice for you," Loki sneers, dropping his arm from around your waist to face his brother.

"And for you, I hope," Thor grins.

Loki blinks, his face completely blank. Thor just laughs.

"So? Will you join me brother?"

You inhale sharply in surprise, and glance over at Loki expectantly, a smile on your face. You anticipate excitement or eagerness in Loki's expression. What you don't expect to see is the combination of apprehension and surprise that taints his gaze.

"I seem to have misheard you, brother. But it sounds like you're asking me to join you in your council meeting?" Loki says, not bothering to hide the patronizing distrust in his voice.

"Loki," you hiss, elbowing him slightly. 

"That is right, Loki. You have my trust, and I want you there."