Chapter 6

(This chapter is 300 words short of my normal goal of 2000 but honestly idc. Enjoy this okay chapter!) (Btw the next chapter is going to be an important one!)

We walked out of the camp and headed into the woods towards a mine Techno and Wil said they found while looking for food. It was apparently a great place to find iron quickly. The trip to the mine should have only taken about 15 minutes but with Techno and Wilbur fighting, it took around 20. They kept either pushing or flicking each other so the other would get mad and push or flick back. It was an odd dynamic that I didn't fit into. So while they were in the front chatting and laughing I stood slightly behind them trying not to get in their way. Hanging out around Techno and Wilbur felt different than it did around everyone else. I felt like I had to be perfect in some sort of way. But I was far from perfect, always stumbling over my words and own feet. So I stayed behind and watched. It was very stressful.

I watched as Techno pulled back a large tree branch leaning against another tree to reveal an old-looking entrance to a mineshaft. Right as Wilbur was walking through the path Techno let go of the branch letting it smack right in Wilbur's face knocking him back. Techno snorted then ran inside the mineshaft to get away from the angry Wilbur who was giving chase. I pushed the tree blocking the path out of the way and watched as the two disappeared from my sight into the mineshaft. The surrounding wood that held up the entrance of the mine looked like it was rotting which gave me many feelings of doubt towards the safety of this structure. Pushing past my fear, I forced myself to walk inside the mineshaft and join the two.

Walking down the entrance, I took notice of the walls that were slowly shifting from dry dirt to a tough stone. All the wood that held up the tunnel seemed to be made out of light oak and spider webs. Lots of spider webs. Looking ahead of me I saw that Wilbur was rummaging through a chest and Techno was nowhere to be seen. Wilbur pulled out rocks of some sort but placed them back in the chest before noticing me. He stood up wiping some dirt from his clothes and picked up his pickax reminding me of the one I was holding.

"Hey Ranboo, Techno ran off before I could get him so I guess it will be just you and me mining together if that's okay." He spoke looking at me.

"Yeah, that's okay," I said with a small smile. Mining with Wilbur wouldn't be too bad. I just had to not be a failure in every way shape and form. Except I am a failure in every way shape and form so I'm just going to have a darn ole time.

"Okay follow me and mine any iron you find." He said beginning to walk down the hall in the mineshaft. "Oh!" Wilbur said pausing his step, "Also be careful this place is a maze. If you get lost, you might get lost for hours and techno and I hate being dragged behind schedule." Wilbur snickered to himself continuing to walk. 

"Got it," I said following him. I couldn't understand if that last thing he said was meant in a sarcastic tone or not slightly worrying me. However, I pushed that worry behind me as we wandered down the halls looking for iron. There wasn't much conversation between us but that was okay. It was a nice silence. I looked at the dusty stone walls running my hand along with them. It was weirdly nice to feel the dust on my fingertips. I looked back to Wilbur to see him wind his arms back and give a hard strike to some iron making a loud clank. The sudden noise slightly startled me and I removed my hand from the wall. He struck the piece a couple more times before it was loose enough for him to pull out. He placed the piece into a bag on his hip and started to strike the stone wall again trying to get more of the iron. Wilbur took a step back. wiped his forehead, and turned towards me.

"You can go ahead and get search for some more iron while I get these, okay?" He said looking at me. I nodded and walked past him scanning the walls carefully for iron. I turned a corner and saw some iron stuck in the stone. I got the iron pickax that Phil gave me and began to swing it at the wall making a clash against the stone. I hit the surrounding stone until I was able to pull the piece out on my own. I placed the piece in my bag and continued walking down the hall in search of more of the ore.