Step 14

<A/N> Hey guys I'm sorry there was no update last week but I hope this chapter coming out early will grant me a little bit of forgiveness lol. This is this week's chapter so we will continue with Sunday updates starting next week. Also thank you so much for 2.2K reads on Wattpad. I love this story and I am so glad so many of you do too!

***TRIGGER WARNINGS*** Talk of murder, attempted homicide, dead parents, name-calling during sex, and this one ends on a cliffhanger so I'm sorry but I love you.

Twelve hours earlier:

Bucky sat at his desk mentally spent as he riffled through another batch of corpse files. The gruesome scene he'd found weeks ago replaying in his mind on a never-ending loop. An endless stack of paperwork kept him late at his desk. Filling out the details and filing them away for his handlers. It was an exhausting task but one he happily did for the amount of freedom he had been allowed. He wanted to be done he missed you. The only thing he ever wanted to do was lay in bed and watch his drowsy doll draw circles on his chest. 

His phone rang buzzing in his pocket.

"Barnes."

"We got a location on the Natural. They're hold up in a warehouse in the meatpacking district."

"How long we got?"

"I'm on my way in now. They're gassing up a quinjet we should be out in about 15 minutes. I'll meet you on the tarmac."

Bucky ran frantically up and down the hallways searching in every room trying to find any trace of you he wanted to say goodbye.  He knew he wouldn't be gone long because there was no indication that they would need to bring a go-bag.  Even though the city wasn't more than a five-minute flight. But Bucky didn't feel right leaving without so much as a word. He felt that little pull in his heart.  He knew the root of he was just too scared to talk or think about it. Even still, he couldn't leave the compound without at least giving you a kiss. He needed just one more kiss, always.

He could've practically pulled you out of the pool and not felt bad about it. Even while the water dripped down his legs and squelched under his boots the only thing he could think of was the way you felt against him. His own peace of mind had been heavily related to you recently. You'd given him a way to feel like he belonged that no one had ever been able to give him. Not Sam, not Nat not even Steve this was different for him this was more to him.

As soon as he got to the Quinjet Sam gave him a little bit more description but refused to let them in on the plan. Sam did this a lot to avoid paperwork which Bucky always had to pick up the slack on because of his imprisonment status.

"Sam you know one of these days you're just going to have to admit you don't know how to do paperwork!" He looked at Bucky and rolled his eyes.

"Or can you not read, man?" Bucky pulled his lips back baring his teeth in a sarcastic face. When Bucky would get annoying Sam knew the best way to deal with him was to put distance between them. He jumped off the open jet door and

Irritated as he begrudgingly sat with his arms crossed on the quinjet waiting for arrival Bucky watched his partner jump out of a plane to get away from him. It was a short flight there but it was the safest to fly by quinjet. Reflector shields were the best camouflage arriving at the warehouse since Iron Man there hasn't been too many UFOs flying around the city. 

Bucky and Sam met on the roof of the building. nodding at one another to signal they were ready. They entered through a window at the far right corner of the building. The dust and darkness concealed them but the silence of it all was too dreary to see past. They looked at each other eyes wide waiting for the unexpected and surprisingly enough it never came.  Crouching through the building trying their best to stay as quiet as possible they found themselves more confused than anything else. Searching for sightings of life, a sound, a movement, a light but nothing came Sam called out to Bucky a little louder than a whisper