Chapter 22: Beat Your Heart Out

It soon became more bearable dealing with Beca being unconscious. They all felt like they could actually go home and rest because her vitals were improving by the day and things were finally looking up. The music still played as a mode of encouragement though.

The doctor did warn them of some side effects per say such as problems in certain functioning like moving up and down on her own, speaking slurred in some areas and general confusion, all which will not be concrete or consistent but will also go away over time as her brain recovers and she goes back to normal.

Chloe was still with her as much as possible though. But there was less crying and more just waiting around. She poured some fresh water into the flowers that Mark had got her but came to an instant stop when she heard a mumble come from over the bed, Chloe put the glass down on the table and made her way back over to the bed and sat beside Beca.

Watching as the brunette's brows pinched together because of whatever it was that she was thinking off in her subconscious, grumbling in the back of her throat some more and then words were formed in a mumble "Chloe..." it seemed more like a cry out rather than her actually knowing that Chloe was there.

"I'm here"

"Chlo" she cried some more. Chloe put her hand on her arm and gripped onto her tighter "Baby I'm here. It's me"

And then, slowly, Beca's eyes opened. As she became more and more awake her breath began to shake as she had panic shoot through her with the last memory she had was being shot, trying to move but Chloe put her hand to her cheeks and gently shushed her before whispering softly "It's okay, you're safe"

Beca just locked her eyes onto her and watched as Chloe cried with a smile on her face "I've missed you so much"

Beca's expression shifted to feeling more relaxed and relieved as she broke out into a smile to show whispered breathlessly "Chloe" it took great strength for her to lift her arm and put her hand on the back of Chloe's neck and brought her close. Finally their lips coming together after what felt like forever to them both , that alone could make Chloe cry but instead a small overwhelmed whimper left her lips onto Beca's.

After a few more long seconds of kissing her, Beca pulled away "I felt like i was trying to get to you but I was stuck...I don't know-"

"It's okay" Chloe whispered with a tearful smile as she just looked at her, running the back of her hand down Beca's cheek "You're here now"

Beca rested her back and head against the bed, her hand falling onto Chloe's arm and holding onto it right "The shooting...are-are you okay?"

"You're the one who got shot"

"I know but I just-I need to make sure...you're okay?"

"Yes I'm fine" Chloe sat down on the edge of the chair, keeping hold of her hand "Especially now that you are"

"I feel like hell"

"You still look beautiful though" Chloe assured as she kissed the back of her hand, to which Beca just let out an amused huff too. Still feeling some slight pain as she did so "I'll take your word for it. Everything feels fuzzy"

"The doctor said that you'll be feeling a little uneasy, your brain still needs time to recover"

Beca closed her eyes as her brows pinched together and she just hummed with discomfort. Hearing Chloe whisper to her "I was so scared"

There was a silence between the two of them, and with Beca's eyes still closed she then just vowed "I love you"

Chloe just looked to her and tried to resist every urge to cry since the first time Beca said that she was bleeding out and dying on the floor. She pressed her lips against Beca's shoulder before resting her forehead against her "I love you too"