1 - An unpleasant beginning

I didn't sign up for this kind of lifestyle, to be honest.
But hey, what can I do about it? Probably nothing.
Doctors say that every healthy human in uncomfortable situations tends to run away and ignore their problems. Well, I'm somewhere in Manhattan and try to escape from my messed up family.

I came here with a portal in Idris and I ended up in front of a water fountain in Central Park, because I remembered seeing a picture of it back in Idris. No destination, no money, no ID, no way of communication, food or a phone.  So I'm practically screwed. And as they say, you can't go far in the Big Apple without money, a profession or a career. And honestly, I never understood what they meant up until now. So I was walking through Central Park. Alone, slightly armed and unprotected at night. And anyone with a mediocre sense of survival knows that walking alone in Central Park at night isn't quite smart. Usually I walk very fast, but back then I pushed myself to my limits and was almost running. Always looking behind me I childishly I toyed around with my ring on my pinky.
I would've given everything to be somewhere warm since I was wearing  jacket and it didn't keep me warm at all. Not to mention that it was winter and snowing. My right hand was in my pocket holding onto the only the weapons I had with me at the moment. My twin daggers. Ready to attack and feeling eyes on my back like someone followed me. In the other hand I held my only source of light. Witchlight. Not knowing where I was going I tried to find that one special building that looked like an abandoned church.

Little did I know that there are many abandoned churches in Manhattan and that Manhattan is huge. I could've used a fire rune to not freeze to death but the dumbass that I am forgot my stele in Idris. In my defence, I had no other choice, was in a hurry and didn't plan this escape at all.

I ended up somewhere in Lenox Hill. I went up north. There was supposed to be a Nephilim Institute in the Upper East Side. People kept giving me the dirtiest looks I've ever laid eyes on. I was so full of it that I stared back at them to make them feel uncomfortable. It worked eventually.
Weirdos kept telling me they knew my parents and that they wanted to take me home. I "politely" declined by pulling out my daggers. And they backed away. A couple even asked me if I was okay. I didn't held of it much even though it was nice people cared about me. They asked me if they should call my parents but I put a fake smile on and told them I lived two blocks away. They still looked concerned and I assured them that I was fine and told them not to worry about me. I lied of course.

It was almost 11:30 pm and still no result. It only was a matter of time until the Clave would've found me. The clock was ticking. I eventually gave up, stole someone's purse by bumping into them and got to the nearest 24/7 coffee shop. I ordered a black coffee and some sesame bagels. They reminded me of home and I almost regretted coming here. But only almost.
When I was about to completely give up and just call my parents, I stared at a building and noticed that something around what looked like a church glimmered and slightly shone. Almost like a spell. It was a glamour. Taking the coffee and the bagel left overs with me and paying with someone else's money I left and ran towards the church. No one, nor the Clave or my family could find me here. And besides, it would've been worth the shot. When I was less than 20 feet away from the wooden, tall doors, I felt a cold breeze blow at my nape. It sent shivers down my spine and this could mean just one thing. I pulled out one of my daggers and my witchlight stone out of my pocket. Remember when I told you I felt like someone was following me? Well, I guess that my instincts are better than I thought.

Out of the darkness something jumped right at me. I turned around and searched for some kind of cover. Kneeling down on all fours I sit in a bush planning my attack. I barely breathed to make no sounds. Since I hadn't seen much of the creature I couldn't define what it was.
But furthermore I already had my guesses. I ran towards a bench and hid behind it. When I was about to attack I heard some kind of whistling sound. An arrow. I threw myself on the ground. It wasn't directed at me. The arrow hit the creature in the chest. It cried out with a loud screeching sound. When that monster tried to pull out the arrow shaft another one hit his heart. Lifeless it hit the ground. Out of a sudden I stood up and ran towards the shooter ready to avoid other arrows and planning a possible attack in my head. I threw my dagger and regretted it immediately.When I saw a tall guy standing in front of the porch I slowed down. The guy in the black jeans jacket dodged the dagger and pulled it out flipping it around in his hands.

"Who are you?", I hissed.
"I should be asking the same question", he replied.
"I'm here to ask for a temporary stay", I replied monotone.
"We don't let strayers in", the man told me.
He took a step closer and I could finally see what he looked like.
He wore blue jeans, some sneakers, a white sweater and one of these black jeans jackets. He had black hair like mine. And the same facial features.  A sharp jaw, high cheekbones and thin lips. The only difference between the two of us were his eyes. He had glass blue eyes.
"I'm sorry but you can't stay here", he said after an awkward silence.
"But if I can't stay here they'll find me", I said with a weak, squeaky voice.
"I don't care about you or your problems. And I could care less about the ones after you. I don't want any problems. So I'll have to politely ask you to leave".
"Harsh", I whispered.

Ouch, am I right? But what if I told you the tall mean guy is my step-brother and that I just didn't know back then. Rejected by their step-brother the first time they met. You must think that I am a total loser. I thought the same about two years ago.
Oh yeah and I forgot. Hi my name is Leo Lightwood and this is my own story.

*AUTHORS' NOTE:*
hello luvs <3
It's me and Leo (ik funny right just like the main character)
so here's the beginning of our new fanfic. We dearly recommend it to cassandra claire nerds like us ;)
We came up with this idea one of these days and there are going to be about 10-15 provisory. But if you like it we'll continue ofc
check our other fanfics:
amnesia (Mine)& is this where it ends (Leo's)
Feel free to follow and/or vote for this, it's up to you :D
so this is it for now, we'll stick around, have a nice weekend and until the next chapter of "Inbetween" <3