6 - Our past's shadows

Nicky's POV

The dark sky seemed to mourn as thick rain drops hit the window of Nicky's dorm room. He sat right in front of it, just with a candle illuminating the room. Another sketch book laid opened in front of him and he drew the thin outlines of a lovely girl, dancing in a bewildered garden filled with numerous beautiful flowers, a sword in her hand. She was his sister, Louise. Louise Baudelaire.

Nicky had always loved drawing, it was his way of expressing his feelings, of capturing his favourite memories and glimpses of life. When he was younger, Nicky didn't have many opportunities to draw since both his parents hadn't approved his passion for art.

He was born into a noble but strict Shadowhunters family. Both his parents were high ranked Clave members and well trained warriors. After giving birth to four daughters, they were exceptionally happy when Anne - Lise, his mother gave birth to a boy. He was supposed to become the best warrior of the family and his parents favourite until he got older and realised that he didn't enjoy fighting and would never be as good as his sisters.

He loved to draw runes or just normal sketches and in the evening he would go to his older sister Amélie and play piano with her or talk about a new book with Eloise. Nicky really loved his older sisters and they loved him as well and tried to protect him.

When he was twelve, his father had enough and lost control during a training session.

"I had expected better from you son, you have disappointed and embarrassed me enough. Your sisters have softened you. They are petite girls, yet every single one of them is better than you, at everything that matters." he snapped.

"However you are still my son, that's why I have decided to give you one last chance to prove yourself. I give you 3 more years to become a better fighter than your sisters. At the end of the 3. year you will fight against each of them. If you can beat all four of them, you can stay here and continue your training, if not I will send you away. I've also got you a Tutor who will help you with your training."

Nicky had swallowed, already knowing that he could never a better fighter than his sisters, especially not better than his oldest sister Juliette, she was the goddess of fighting.

The tutor his father had given Nicky was merciless. He drilled the young boy everyday for 8 hours with hardly any breaks. After the first week, every part of his body did hurt and was covered in bruises and cuts. He was not allowed to use his stele, apparently to make him 'stronger and more pain resistant'. He was separated from his sisters, stripped of the only joyful thing in his life.

Nicky had to hide his sketchbook behind his bed but every night he took it out of it's hiding place and drew. Sometimes pictures of him and his sisters when they were younger, sometimes pictures of him bleeding or dying.

The time was floating fast and the day I had to fight against my own sisters came. My father had cleared the big training ground in our garden. Servants were gathered around, invited to watch the grand spectacle.

I was getting ready when suddenly the door burst open and Louise entered the room. I haven't had spoken to her for almost 3 years and before I could think, her arms were slung around me.

"Listen." she whispered." I will let you win our duel. But we cannot make it too obvious because father will notice. I will bring you to the ground but you will not give up. I will spare you one second, in which I will look at the crowd in triumph. When this happens, you will take your chance and disarm me, pin me to the ground, alright?"

Nicky just nodded.

"Okay, I will try to tell the others to do something similar, we can't loose you, alright?"

Louise kissed his cheek for the last time and left the dark room soundless.

Louises plan really worked and soon three sisters were defeated. The crowd cheered and Nicky's father looked proud. But now the young Shadowhunter had to face Juliette, his oldest and most skilled sister.

Before they started fighting, Juliette came closer and whispered in Nicky's ear:

"Listen little brother, the others my have spared you but I am loyal to father, I won't let you win. I'll squish you like a bug"

"Hey Nicky, dinner is ready, are you eating with us?" a male voice interrupted his thoughts and dragged him back into the present.

"Sure, I am coming." he answered and got up.

Author's note:

Hey everyone! A new chapter yayy :D I hope you liked it UwU