-19-

Last night was one of the worst nights I have ever had. I wasn't able to fall asleep, and I spent the entire night laying in the dark while listening to Debby's soft snoring. I had huge and very dark circles under my eyes, and my whole body felt sluggish. It was almost noon and Debby was still sleeping. I dragged my body downstairs to the kitchen to get myself a glass of water.

"Beck, what's wrong with you?" My mom was in the kitchen cooking lunch. She was actually off work today and she seemed happier than usual. She was making breaded chicken breast with macaroni and cheese and broccoli. "You seem very tired. Didn't have a good night's sleep?"

"Nope. Not at all." My voice was hoarse and my throat was very dry. I grabbed a red plastic cup from one of the cabinet's and I filled it with water from the tap. I was desperate just to get water in my body, I didn't care if it was filtered or not. I chugged the entire cup of water and I sighed with satisfaction as I set the cup down on the counter. My mom watched me with worried eyes. "I was feeling a bit dehydrated. Anyways, you got plans for your day off?"

"I think I'm going to catch up on a TV show I started a while ago. What about you? I know Debby spent the night, are you girls going to the mall?"

"Maybe. That sounds like a good idea. It's time I donate some of my old clothes that don't fit me anymore and get some new ones," I answered as I filled my cup with more water, but the filtered kind from the fridge.

"My hands are really dirty at the moment," my mom raised her hands up and I saw they were coated with the breaded mixture she made for the chicken, "but I have money you can grab from my purse. I pulled a bunch out from the ATM last night after work. You can grab a $100 bill."

Even if I refused, my mother would insist. "Okay, thank you Mom." I gave her a hug and I went to the kitchen table where her purse was set on, and I took her wallet out. I grabbed the bill and I wandered upstairs. Jen was in my bedroom looking through my closet while Debby was awake and sitting up in bed.

"I didn't mean to sleep so long," Debby stated as she rubbed her eyes.

"It's all good. Want to go to the mall today?"

"Sure. Don't you have to get a new green dress soon?" Debby asked as she slipped out of bed and stretched her arms up over her head.

Jen pulled out my green dress from last year and laid it out on my bed. I stared at it and nodded my head. "Yeah I do. My father's anniversary is next weekend." Jen pulled out an outfit for me from the closet and placed it on my bed next to the dress. I walked over to her and I took the clothes she took out and I put them back in the closet. "I'll pick my own clothes today," I told her with an annoyed tone. She didn't say anything and just walked out of my room.

"Are you okay?" Debby asked me as she stepped closer to me.

"Yeah I'm good. I'm feeling kind of bitchy today, might be starting my period soon," I lied to her. I was still mad at Jen for what happened last night, but I couldn't let Debby know the real reason.

"Aww man, that means I'm going to start mine soon too. I hate that we're synced up." She groaned and I let out a chuckle. "I'm going to freshen up and then get ready so we can go." She left my room and I heard the bathroom door shut shortly after.

Jen showed up again, but stood in the doorway, her arms crossed. "Trouble picking out your own clothes?" She asked with a flat tone in her voice.

"No." I pulled out a black cami, a light gray cardigan and simple blue jeans. I held them up. "See? No trouble at all."

"Josh will tell her eventually." That was all she said before she left. I could hear her descending the stairs. I scoffed as I changed into the clothes I picked out. I finished the outfit off with black slip on shoes.