-2-

Winter vacation was over and it was time to get back to school. Debby and her mother took us to school since my mother left early to work. She was a nurse at the only hospital in our town. There were many talks my mother and I had where she wanted to quit her job and find something else to do, and I believe she was still traumatized over my father's death.

My father worked as a policeman, and it's almost been exactly three years ago that our town was attacked by a serial burglar who broke and entered in over 20 homes. In wintertime, late January, the station got a call that a man had entered someone's home and vandalized it, taking several items along with him. My father was the first one since he was patrolling nearby, and he saw the car the burglar got away in. As he chased him down, he lost control of his car on the slippery and icy road, and he spun out and the driver's side struck into the pole of a streetlight. He was barely alive when the paramedics got to him, but he died on the way to the hospital due to the blood loss.

My mother was working the night shift when her own husband was brought into the hospital. She broke down in front of everyone, screaming hysterically as she stared at my father's lifeless body on a gurney. The burglar was tracked down eventually with the help of my father's police car camera footage, but my father's life for a burglar's life behind bars was such an unfair trade. Everyone at the police station paid respects at my father's funeral. He was highly respected, and he was such a good man. Ever since then, I think that working at the hospital haunted my mother, and just wished to leave as soon as possible, but it helped keep food on the table and keep the bills paid.

"You hungry?" Debby asked when we were inside the school building. It was warm indoors, and I could feel the blood rush back to my face. I took off the beanie from my head, removed my scarf and then I brushed my fingers through my hair to smooth it out. I should've tied my hair up instead of wearing it down, because my hair was long that it reached my waist and it would always get in my way. I always thought about cutting it, but I knew that if I did, I would regret so I kept it long.

"I guess it wouldn't hurt to see what the cafeteria was serving," I answered as I shrugged my shoulders. I also removed my coat. We stopped by our lockers to dump our things before heading to the cafeteria. I stared at the menu posted on the TV screens above the lines, and I groaned.

"Pancakes don't sound too bad. Come on." Debby grabbed my hand and pulled me in line behind a group of cheerleaders who greeted both of us. Debby was on the cheerleading team, and I personally thought she was the best one out of all of them. "So, I didn't get to tell you about what happened with Josh and I. Since he works at his dad's restaurant, he invited me to come sometime. He told me that my next meal would be on him, and he texted me his break hours." She was smiling so wide, and I couldn't help but laugh at how silly she looked.

Her expression suddenly changed and her eyes went wide to something behind me. When I turned my head, I saw the Korren brothers behind us. Kaleb was smirking and Keith gave me a small smile. I rolled my eyes at them before turning back to Debby who grabbed a tray and then handed me one. We were each served three small pancakes, a tiny cup of diced strawberries, a tiny cup of whipped cream, a tiny packet of syrup and a scoop of scrambled eggs on the side. Debby grabbed a bottle of milk before she paid and I grabbed a bottle of orange juice

As soon as I went to pay, Kaleb reached over and handed money to the lunch lady, "I'll pay for both mine and hers." The lady nodded as she took the money from his hand.

"No he will not!" I angrily snapped as I pulled out my money, but Kaleb quickly grabbed my hand. I yanked my hand back and the lunch lady gave Kaleb back his change. I huffed in annoyance as I shot him a glare and he only smirked. I wrapped my hand around Debby's and pulled her to a booth across the cafeteria. "Kaleb just likes pushing my buttons. Keith is nothing like his brother," I ranted to Debby who sat there nodded her head as she poured syrup over her pancakes.