-25-

Side Note: This chapter is a short one.

Keith and Kaleb were in the living area sitting next to each other on the olive green L-shaped sofa. They were discussing something that seemed serious, as their facial expressions told me so. I stepped toward them and they both turned their heads at the sight of me. Their concerned faces shifted to joy while they wore smiles on their faces.

"Feel rested?" Keith asked me and I nodded my head in response. I sat down on the cushion that extended outward so I could be directly across from them.

"How'd it go with Debby?" Kaleb chimed in and I smiled while letting out a sigh, leaning back and placing my hands out behind me on the sofa to support my weight.

"It went well. She doesn't blame me and it feels great. I think we're making amends and our friendship will finally be back to how it was," I answered and they both nodded their heads while they listened. "So, I'm happy. Anyway, what were you two just talking about?"

"Our plans going forward. What happened at the football field was Zach's attempt of igniting the war without actually taking the blame for it. Us vampires don't know what to do at the moment except ready our forces," Keith explained as he shifted his weight forward, his right arm laid across his lap with his left one planted on his knee. He rested his chin on his open palm while he gazed down at his feet.

"We don't have any intentions of attacking first. We plan on staying on the defensive side and not doing anything reckless. We've all been on edge, unsure of when the werewolves will strike, but for now, we'll continue to deliberate on our next moves. We have camps and hideouts right now across the state and the nation fully prepared," Kaleb added.

"But we have nothing at this hideout," Keith debated as he let out a worried sigh.

"Correct, but we can handle our own."

I watched as Keith and Kaleb went back and forth. I cleared my throat to turn their attention away. I knew what they were dealing with, and I understood the seriousness of the situation, but I felt as if they needed a break. I didn't want them to stressed. "Well, how about we go do something together? I'm eager to see what's around here."

"We would love to, but we're waiting for Jen to return. We're meeting up with some officials to discuss a few things. We'll be gone for a few days," Keith answered with a sad look on his face. I could tell they both didn't want to leave, but they had to do what they needed to.

"Jen will be gone too?" I asked.

"Yes."

"I thought it was dangerous to leave me and Debby alone together?"

"Georgia will be here and so will Josh. He's coming over tonight."

I remembered how Josh never told Debby that him and Jen were Mates. Now that Debby was a vampire with immense strength and rage, I didn't know how she would handle it when she found out. I fidgeted anxiously as my gaze met my feet. They sensed how I was feeling, but they didn't know exactly what was causing it.

Keith leaned forward to take my hand into his. "You'll be safe. I promise."

"I just don't want you guys to leave.. that's all."

"Only a few days. We will come back, so please don't worry," Kaleb spoke up, his voice gentle and caring with promises in his eyes. I thought they're afraid of me believing they wouldn't come back, considering they were gone and had left me behind for over a year.

There was a bit of a concern buried deep inside me, a doubt that crawled around whispering to me that they wouldn't ever come back. "I know," I responded, my voice quiet. "Can we.. can we just cuddle and watch movies until you leave?" I felt small while sitting in front of them. I finally had the courage to look up at them, but my vision was blurred with tears. I was exhausted, my entire body was exhausted, and I was sick of crying, but there were no other emotions I could've felt in that moment.