-33-

The next few days were spent drawing up plans with Liliana. She also dedicated that time to train me some more so I could become better fluent in the powers I had learned. Even though we had the perfect escape route planned out for Debby, it was all about waiting for the perfect moment to execute it. That was what I was most scared about it. I couldn't come to terms what would happen to Debby if something went wrong once we decided to put it into motion.

I sat on the edge of my bed with the notebook in my left hand while I gnawed on the nail of my right thumb. My eyes darted around the page while I focused on the floor plan. I felt Keith take his place next to me and he gently placed a hand against my back. "Hey," he spoke softly, reaching to grab the notebook, but I pulled it away from him. "Rebecca.."

"We keep waiting for the right moment to have Debby escape. But, when exactly is that moment? What do we have to wait for?" I asked, feeling irritated and exhausted. I looked over at him, but he didn't meet my gaze. He kept his eyes on the notebook. Eventually, he sighed and leaned his head back.

"Rebecca, I'm not entirely sure. You know as well as us that it is reckless to rush into these things. Debby will be saved, but it's only a matter of time."

"Then, I'll create the opportunity."

"How so?"

"I don't have it entirely planned out, so I can't tell you just yet." The truth was, I didn't want to tell Keith what I had in mind. If I told him, he would be opposed to it and so would Kaleb. And I could not have them going against me, because my plan wouldn't work that way.

Before Keith could attempt to pry the information out of me, we both perked up. We sensed Zach and his goons were outside. As much as I despised seeing him, I was anxiously waiting for him to return like he had promised. Keith immediately stood up, but before I could get on my feet, he placed his hand on my shoulder to stop me.

"Wait here."

"No. I'm not going to hide from him," I responded in annoyance. I shoved his hand away and pushed past him, storming out of the room. Keith followed closely behind and Kaleb joined him right after. They both were with me as I exited the house to meet Zach. I instantly felt disgust as soon as I laid my eyes on Zach. He stood there with his arms crossed over his chest and an egotistical smirk plastered on his face.

I wondered what Zach was thinking. If only I could read his mind, I would be able to stay one step ahead of him. I looked to my right, and I saw Liliana standing a short distance from me. She shook her head at me. "I know what you're about to do. You cannot," she told me and her voice rang in my eardrums. I ignored her as I continued to approach Zach.

He waited until I was a few feet from him before speaking. "I came back like I promised. So, what's the choice?" Zach tilted his head, watching me closely, focusing in on my next move. I turned back to take a glance on Keith and Kaleb before returning my attention to Zach.

"I'll go," I stated. Zach's face instantly lit up at the sound of my words.

"Rebecca!" Keith raised his voice and the brothers both rushed forward to grab me. I fought them off and they backed away. "You can't go."

"Don't." Kaleb sounded disappointed and sad. Their emotions they were displaying was almost enough to convince me to change my mind. I didn't want to hurt them, but ultimately, it was my decision.

"However, I won't leave unless you give us Debby first. Once Debby is safe and wound up with us, then you can have me," I informed Zach and he let out a chuckle.

"How do I know you'll keep your word?"

"What about yours? How do I know that she's still alive?" Even though I knew Debby was alive, I couldn't walk into this exchange blindly. There was a chance that Zach could kill Debby on the way here. All I truly wanted was for her to get here alive and well. "And don't act dumb. You know me. You knew who I was before this. I stayed true to myself, but I can't say the same for you."