Dawn of the Iron Queen: Part 1

There were few things that could bring Sonic a sense of inner peace, but none as much as finding time to sit down and play his guitar. It was a soothing feeling. One that brought his often racing mind to rest.

For the past hour, he'd sat on a bench down the sidewalk of main street in Mobotropolis, the capital city of Acorn Kingdom jurisdiction. He'd not be accompanied, not by Sally, nor by Tails. He didn't mind having his own personal time, especially in this case. Everyone had their own way of coping with these trying times, and he'd figured this was his.

Sonic peacefully plucked away at the chords of his instrument as the people of Mobotropolis passed by. It was an odd thought to him how they continued to roam the city like nothing had happened. He saw it as "very bizarre".

"Hi Sonic." One of the bystanders greeted him as she walked passed with her child. He gave her a gentle smile in reply, keeping both hands playing.

"Hero of Mobius, what's up man!" Another fellow Mobian greeted as he passed by.
"How's it goin." He briefly replied with the same smile.

He didn't know what to expect by clearing his head in the center of the city, though there was something about socializing with the common people that made him feel at ease. Well, either that or he just loved the attention.

"Sonic?" He then finally heard a voice he could recognize in a heartbeat. He'd looked up from the guitar, and saw Tails strolling on by.
"Tails? What are ya doin' in the city buddy? Where's your mom?" He questioned as he sat the guitar down next to him on the green bench.
"Actually... I've been avoiding being at home. Things have gotten pretty tense around the house." His voice slightly dropped, tugging on Sonic's heartstrings.

"Rosemary and your dad fighting?" Sonic questioned with concern.

"Well, it's just safe to say dad hasn't been around much. He and mom have been arguing, and I just can't look at him right now." Tails sat down on the bench next to Sonic as he moved his guitar.
"Yikes.. that bad, huh?" Sonic asked.
"I just... I want things to go back to how they were. I hate this! I hate everything about it!" The fox child began to sound choked up as his voice rose.

Sonic stared at him for a moment with a heartbreaking expression. He himself hated what was happening, but seeing it affect his young friend in such a way hurt him dearly.
"You and me both, buddy." Sonic easily patted Tails on the back.

But as their heart-to-heart had only just started, Sonic had noticed something.. rather strange. The local Mobians that were scattered all around the square were each beginning to turn their attention to the sky. Curious, Sonic too looked up.

The beautiful baby blue skyline, was quickly being taken over by a heard of clouds like he'd never seen. These clouds were not average storm clouds, no they were something worse. Something far more sinister.

They were a purple color, with a light crimson hue to them. Within moments, the sun was no longer in sight. The clouds had covered it like a slew of solid rocks. The atmosphere had a dark aura, sending harsh chills up Sonic's spine. It took him longer than expected, but he finally began to understand what was happening.

"Umm, Sonic... what's going on?" Tails stood up from the bench as he looked to the sky in awe. He noticed Sonic's eyes had widened in fear, as he too stood to his feet.

"She's coming.." He spoke in terrified awe. He finally tore his eyes off the dark sky and looked down at Tails. "Buddy, I need you to listen really good to what I'm about to say, okay? You need to fly home as fast as you can. You and your mom lock yourselves in the basement until I come back for you!" He firmly spoke to the child as he places his arms on his shoulders.