The Dominion Strikes Back

Sally and Tails scrambled the battlefield for their large dragon friend. She wouldn't be hard to spot, but the longer the battle went on, the further it stretched. The war was no longer just fought at the doors of the castle, but spread to outer walls and beyond. Sally didn't want to admit it, but they were slowly being pushed back. Their momentum and the element of surprise had finally been diminished. Knuckles was right, it was like the Iron Dominion had unlimited foot soldiers.

The struggle to find Dulce had only increased, as nearly every soul they encountered along the way was on the opposing side. Sally was beginning to grow tired. She wasn't much of a fighter to begin with, and throwing her into war against a trained army and militia of ninja only wore her out more. She and Tails had briefly separated only minutes prior, sending the young fox to hover over the battlefield to help find the dragon all while staying out of harms way.

Her body ached, sweat now covering her face. Another gash was opened on the top right of her forehead, though she was completely oblivious to it and the blood slowly making its way down the side of her face. Her arms were already beginning to quit on her after the swinging of her experimental wrist blades, something she wasn't accustomed to doing so much in such little time.

She wanted to just stop and breathe for a moment, but they couldn't waste a single second. Every moment they're away from the cannons, the longer they have to charge up.

"Aunt Sally!" The princess finally heard, causing her to whip her head around and glance up at the sky. She saw Tails hovering back down, along with the large green dragon with the nose ring. They both landed before her, instantly recognizing the the fatigue that Sally had endured.

"I'm here, Sally! Tails told me everything!" Dulcy spoke.
"Do you think you can carry me?" Sally spoke with haste, slowly trying to regain her strength.
"I don't know, but I don't think we have much of a choice." The dragon said. "Where are we headed?" She asked.
Sally's only response was pointing up to the small command tower atop one of the conjoining corners of the high walls. Dulcy took a look at the tall stone tower, giving a nod in agreement.

"Okay—let's do it!" Dulcy spoke.
"I'm right behind you!" Tails explained. Sally quickly approached Dulcy, who then grabbed her by her torn vest and immediately took off into the air. Tails did as he said, and took off to follow close behind.

From the moment Sally was even ten feet from the ground, the fatigue quickly shifted to pure terror. Flying high into the sky in an unsecured fashion wasn't exactly something she was used to. While Dulcy did have a death grip on the shoulders of Sally's blue vest, the idea of hanging hundreds of feet above the ground secretly horrified the royal girl. Looking down at the battle below her didn't help, but she couldn't look away from her fear stricken gaze.

"Don't worry Sally, we're almost ther—AHH!" Dulcy's reassurance for the princess was cut short, as something hard and powerful breezed by her. She turned her view from Sally back to the upcoming tower, and saw that the Royal guards were already trying to keep them from shutting down the cannons.

Tails and the dragon quickly shifted around in the air to avoid being hit by the armed guards with their crossbows and plasma based weaponry.
"Their resistance is too heavy! We have to go back!" Dulcy shouted over the pounding sound of violence.
"No! If we go back them we just killed every single person on the ground! We can't stop!" Sally yelled back, trying her best to throw off some of their blasts with her energy based holo-swords.

"Then hold on Sally, because we're going in!" Dulcy replied, already acting before Sally could reply with a hypothetical strategy. Using her powerful wings, Dulcy darted straight up with immense speed, now flying high above even the guard towers. As soon as she floated in the air for just a moment, she nosedived right at the guards of the control tower. Tails continued to keep his distance, well aware they wouldn't be firing at him if he didn't attack first.