Cocktail Notes

The smoggy sky left a shadow over the window, unable to provide anymore light into the sitting room. The bustle of the people below radiated through the cracked pane, allowing an edge to the silence.

Tina flipped through the wizarding newspaper, tapping her crossed feet. She blindly reached for a sugar cookie, something she definitely missed while Jacob was away those few months. It was an explosion of delight in her mouth as she hummed, staring at the speculating stories lining the articles.

She made it her personal mission to catch any mingling gossip on the happenings of Grindelwald. Ever since Achilles made the deduction that their prisoner would try an escape after the court request from England, it was a growing fear in the pit of her stomach that the silver tongue would find a way out.

Just as Queenie had said, having Abernathy become first guard would probably prove to be the biggest mistake of MACUSA's career. But no matter how many times she addressed Madam Picquery, or the Kersey twins – who had overtaken the position as the Madam President's right hand man – they insisted they had the situation under control.

'They still don't trust me,' Tina thought, begrudgingly, 'Solved three missing persons cases, two muggle attacks, and a double night shift near Grindelwald's cell – and they still don't give two hippogriffs about my opinion.'

The doorknob jangled and a rather flustered Jacob came swiftly in. His normally rosy cheeks were a few shades darker as he pushed the door against the smog and cold, "You'd think the weather would realize it's supposed to be spring!"

At the sound of his voice, a number of excited heel clicks came from the hallway, and Queenie appeared in a luxurious peach dress and a salmon coat to match.

"There's my baby girl!" Jacob opened his arms and let the smiling girl launch herself into his embrace. He ran a hand up her back and to her face, pulling away slightly, "You cold?"

She grinned wider, eyes twinkling, "Nothing you can't fix."

He matched her expression, still holding onto the side of her face, pulling her gently closer, "I may be no proper maintenance man – but I think I could solve this one." And he moved to capture her lips with his, pulling a hum instantly from Queenie.

Tina tried to hide it with her own groan of impatience; it was always taxing whenever the two of them said good morning or goodbye to one another.

After a few heated seconds, Queenie withdrew and brushed a few curls aside, "Where have you been all morning? I missed you for our walk."

He gave an admiring smile at her adorable pout, "Oh, I – I had a few errands to run, that's all."

She pulled her arms away, giving him a suspicious look.

"Don't you dare look into my head, Queenie!" He called out, holding his hands up and retreating for the kitchen, "You promised you wouldn't."

"I can't help it when you're being so secretive." She folded her arms and regarded him as he took off his coat. Her eyes snapped to the pockets, "What sort of errands were you running?"

Jacob was never very good at creating articulate sentences when he was nervous, "Well, I had t-to grab some extra flour and sugar and stuff from the store." He straightened his vest and made to check the cookie jar to see if it called for a new batch.

Queenie began to purse her lips, "But I thought the store boy took care of the deliveries. Why would you have to shop for ingredients when they come to you through the back every week?"

"I – you know sometimes... we run out before the next shipment comes. So – so I have to go pick up some extra to hold us over."

She took a few steps to lean against the counter, "So you really only went shopping for bakery things?"