Vindication

"What are you doing!?" Theseus let go of his hold around Leta to round on his brother, "Why didn't you tell me you two were having problems?"

Newt was standing there with a surprised look on his face – it looked like he was on the verge of tears.

Leta pushed away the older brother with a stern look, "Not the time Theseus, but Newt – shouldn't you be doing something right now?"

"Sorry?"

She gestured towards the open front door, "If you want things to get better, you don't miss opportunities like this to go after her."

"Don't let her get away, Newt!"

The brothers shared a look before Newt began to sidle away, a mumble on his lips, "I – I, right... go after her. But – what do I...?"

"No time, Newt," Leta retorted, now practically begging him to run out, "She could've disapparated by now."

Newt left his mouth agape, but started to nod subtly, "Right, I should – I should go after her. But what if she...?"

"Run now, think later, alright?" Theseus demanded, taking charge in grabbing his brother by the shoulders and pushing him towards the porch, "This is your chance."

And stumbling down the front steps, Newt took off down the sidewalk to see if Anna was still trudging off. Theseus and Leta remained at the door, both sharing concerned gazes.

"That didn't go as planned," Leta mumbled.

"You could say that again," he huffed, sticking a hand into his pocket, "And I was so sure everything was going fine. Turns out it's all gone down the gutter."

"It's not too late," Leta replied, watching her longtime friend trip along the cobblestone sidewalk way down the street. "Did you see the state of him? Very few relationships push a man to end up like that for as long as he has been. If that's not love, then I don't know what is."

Theseus almost snorted, "Are you suggesting that just because I love you, I would end up like Newt if you ever left me?"

"Are you suggesting you wouldn't?" she turned to him, one of her arms moving to wrap around his pocketed one.

He gazed at her for a few moments before responding quietly, "Well, I'd like to think I would at least change my clothes every once in a while."

"This is not supposed to turn into an opportunity to make fun of your brother." She lightly smacked him, leaning in close to his side, "And for the record, I think you'd go as far as forgetting to put shoes on when you went to work."

Theseus nodded in agreement, a sarcastic sigh on his lips, "Ah, yes... how could I manage if you weren't there to remind me to put on a pair of dress shoes?"

She held in a smile, slowly turning up to admire him; and he down to admire her.

Newt fumbled down the streets, finding the dim lighting from the lamp posts no help at all. He panted slightly as he traced what he knew to be the path back to Bunty's flat.

He could barely feel the breeze nipping at his ears or the pounding in his head against the dehydrated running. One of his shoelaces must have been loose as he continuously stepped on one of the strings and disregarded the impending fall he'd have to endure should he trip.

He tried to take Theseus' advice to 'run and not think,' and hopefully it'd work in the end. He didn't want to ponder on what he'd have to say once he did catch up to Adelaide.

The task now was seeing where she went.

He rounded another corner and spotted a light dress bobbing in the distance and as a lamp illuminated light red hair, he knew it was her. And it was almost like lead weights were suddenly placed on his ankles.