Head Resident

What would happen if you could change any part of your life in an instant?

Would you even do it?

These were the questions she pondered.

The vanity that Adelaide was seated at was covered in fizzing beasts – small live figurines of the actual creatures. A Wampus Cat prowled along the edge of the table, brilliantly white salamanders coursed the surface in search of fire, and a pair of Jarvey were priming their whiskers while chattering at a Crup a few feet away.

Adelaide watched them with a hardened gaze, the golden locket open and resting near her hand. She sighed when she caught a Hippocampus drifting swimmingly from the depths of the jewelry and almost collide with the mirror attached to the vanity. It floated in midair as it observed itself and shook out its glistening mane.

A Thunderbird flew up and eye level with Anna – beating its wings soundlessly as it clacked its beak.

This locket had been everything to her the last few months. The only thing that kept her connected to that world.

It was her coping mechanism.

And with a clenched jaw, she slammed the locket shut and brushed it from the vanity, watching it tumble to the ground. The creatures immediately disappeared, and Anna flew from her chair and out of the room.

Today was going to be the day she started the new chapter of her life. She was going to find her own way now. In a new country with a new plan, Adelaide was going to get over the anxieties of the last few months.

And this started with St. Mungo's.

She continued a brisk walk after struggling with the sticking door of Bunty's and made a confident descent towards a local No-Maj strip of department stores. One in particular, named Purge and Dowse, Ltd., was bricked shut and boarded against any passersby.

Knowing the truth, Adelaide gazed briefly at a few stained and weathered mannequins within the window. And much like the mysterious warded boundaries of her old hospital and MACUSA, she walked through the wide glass panel of the window and into a fully functioning medical center.

She was in what seemed to be a crowded reception area where rows of witches and wizards sat upon rickety wooden chairs, some looking perfectly normal and perusing out-of-date copies of Witch Weekly. Others were sporting gruesome disfigurements such as elephant trunks or extra hands ticking out of their chests.

Witches and wizards in lime-green robes were walking up and down the rows, asking questions and making notes on clipboards. Anna noticed the emblem embroidered on their chests: a wand and bone, crossed.

It was one of these healers that she advanced with her questions. A young man with shaggy dark hair that laid curled and wild on his head.

"Excuse me?"

He turned to her with deep green eyes, "Yes? How can I help you, miss?" He flashed a welcoming smile.

"I'm looking for someone in charge. Is the Chief around? I believe he's expecting me." She held her head high as the man before her gave a puzzled expression.

"Are you the new resident healer we're hiring? The American? Sorry, can't help but notice the accent." He rested his clipboard against his hip as he smiled at her nodding, "Brilliant! I'm Hippocrates Smethwyck, but most people call me Wyck."

Anna met his raised arm and shook his hand, "Nice to meet you. I didn't realize the Chief had mentioned my transfer to any of the healers."

"Oh, don't worry about it. I'm training under him at the moment and between you and me, I'm a pretty safe confidant."