Chapter Eight: Challenge

Fox was now stuck in a jail cell with the Future Mario.  They took away his blaster, rendering him useless.  And, if he killed Mario (who Fox thought was Master Hand) he, too, would be killed.

        So, Fox sat on the wood hanging from the wall, looking down and not moving or speaking.  However, Mario was pacing around.  He walked left and right, this way and that.  Fox didn't bother to ask, he was probably plotting to kill Mario without getting caught.

        But, Mario was deep in thought.  He had realized that getting Fox jailed would cause a huge breach in time.  They would keep Fox here, meaning he couldn't do the things he was supposed to do.  This would drastically change the future, and it was all Mario's fault.  He needed to find a way to get Fox out of here and trusted again, but he couldn't figure out how.  Mario just kept pacing around.  Fox should be out there fighting, Mario thought.  Then, it came to him.

        Mario turned to Fox and walked toward him.  "You want to a-get out of here, right?" Mario asked, breaking the hours of silence between them.

        "Oh, you shut up!" Fox exclaimed.  "I don't want to trust you, Master Hand!"

        Mario could still not believe that Fox thought he was Master Hand, because he was definitely not.  Either way, he needed Fox to trust him just this once.

        "I know a way a-out of here," Mario said.

        Fox looked up a little, but he didn't want Mario to think he was interested.  "Go away," Fox plainly demanded.

        "Fine, a-then," Mario muttered and began pacing again.

        Fox just kept on sitting there.  He knew he couldn't trust the Mario imposter.  But, then he thought about Falco.  Fox promised that he wouldn't be in the Smash Bros for long, but he could be in this prison for life.  He couldn't let Falco be out in space alone...forever.

        Fox jumped to his feet.  His feet made a loud noise, prompting Mario to turn back to Fox.  "What's your plan," Fox hesitantly questioned.

        Mario walked closer.  "You have to a-challenge the real Mario," he said, internally cringing when he had to say "real Mario".

        "What do you mean?" Fox asked, confused.

        "Strike a deal a-with him," Mario elaborated.  "If you can a-beat him in a battle with a-one stock, you can be free.  But, if you a-lose, you'll stay here."

        Fox's eyes widened.  "Are you crazy?!" he exclaimed.  "Mario is the best fighter here.  I'm sure to lose and be here for the rest of my life!"

        "But you would a-be here anyways," Mario countered.  "This gives you a chance a-to get out.  It's a-the only way."

        Fox thought about this.  Mario was right.  It was the only way.

        "I'll do it," Fox sighed.  Mario had a genuine smile on his face.

        Fox went up to the bars.  He saw Captain Falcon coming down the stairs.  He was out consulting Past Mario about the trouble with Fox that got him in the jail cell in the first place.  Captain Falcon stood in front of the bars.

        "Well, you are going to-" Captain Falcon started.

        "I challenge Mario in a battle!" Fox yelled through the bars.

        Captain Falcon was a little taken back.  "What?" he questioned.

        "If he wins, I stay," Fox said.  "If I win, I will be let out and can fight with you guys again!"