Chapter 9: A Favor Returned

** Warning: Mentions of rape (no scene) & graphic depictions of violence. **

I awoke to the sound of rummaging papers as a dull ache throbbed on the side of my head. Wincing in pain, my eyes slowly opened and I looked up to see Melody sitting at the kitchen table.

Instead of taking the time to call the police or change into something more decent, she was captivated by the collection of information in front of her.

"See something you like?" I inquired in a mutter as I attempted to move my hands. Particles, of what was mostly likely to be dirt, rubbed off of the rope that bound me to a chair, chafing my wrists.

Melody's eyes shot up, catching my glare. Lifting a picture into view, she asked, "Why did you take these?"

My eyes narrowed in.

It was of her, getting a tour of her new school. Her hair was up and she was wearing denim shorts and a pink crop top, which revealed a lot of skin. I wasn't the only one to notice as the man she was with, who was tasked with showing her where all of her classes were, was quite the flirt that day.

"I needed to figure out your schedule." My fingers reached to feel for the knot and I began pulling at its design.

"And this one?" She reached for a different picture, peeling the back of her thighs from the chair while she leaned forward. "You needed to figure out a pattern from my bedroom?"

Melody was standing at her dresser, preparing to change into some nightly attire. Her slick hair clinged to flushed shoulders, overlapping the towel wrapped tightly around her, and a trail of wet footprints followed closely behind from the dark hallway.

I swallowed, wondering if she found the box of her things. Though it was doubtful, since everything she was looking at now was in a folder left on the table by the lazy me; she would have to go searching through my closet to find any items I took from her.

"I'm not afraid to admit I'm smitten with you." I pressed against the back of the chair to sit up properly. It's not like you were meant to see those.

She turned the picture back to herself and stared intently, running a thumb along its glossy edge. "My dad was right... You were the one in my room, weren't you?" Her voice was almost a whisper.

"Speaking of your dad, I'm surprised you haven't called him or the police."

"Who's to say I didn't?" Melody snapped with a scornful look on her face.

Her words blanched my face and my entire body tensed up. Blood rushed to my legs, causing my arms to feel numb.

I need to get out of this.

I need out.

Feeling a panic attack revving up, I closed my eyes and took a couple deep breaths.

That's all I need to focus on...

The now.

"You're really afraid of him"—I could hear the smile in her voice—"and I guess I should have called someone, but I wanted to understand why."

"Why what?" I asked coldly, opening my eyes to look at her.

She shrugged, staring back at the papers on the table. "Why you raped my mom, why you came after me and—"

"First of all," I cut in, "I didn't rape your mother. Do you really think I'd still be walking around freely if that was the case? Second, with the work I do, everyone knows the best way to hurt someone is to go after their children. That's why your daddy was so paranoid."