Chapter 17: Grace

The shapely forest was painting-like, soaking in the morning sun, as fog hugged the distant mountaintops. Chilly air pushed through the trees, biting my warm skin, and I rolled up the windows. My cold breath hovered in the air and I took another glance at the beauty.

There were a couple patches of guts smashed against the asphalt, but other than that, it was serene. It almost made me forget about the cliffside as I safely rode the brakes down the steep slope to Payson. Then there was my sister; she hadn't materialized again, but I knew it was only a matter of time...

When I made it into town, I pulled up to a car shop and dialed Ben's number. I swallowed with a pit in my stomach, knowing I'd have to admit I was a coward.

It rang once and he picked up. "Hey! Did you do it?"

I gripped the phone and tittered, "Haha... About that, I have one more favor to ask of you."

"Yeah?" his tone raised in question. "What is it?"

"I couldn't... do it. I couldn't... perform." Like that's ever been an issue.

I opened the car door and plopped my feet on the ground. The cold caused goosebumps to rise on my pale skin and I rubbed a hand over my forearm.

"And you need me to do it?"

I pursed my lips. "Yes. I-I'm sorry. I just... I trust you with this—that you'll do it right."

There was a long, uncomfortable silence, causing my heart to spike and my shoulders stiffened. Pins and needles went through my arms as the blood left, running to my legs.

Suddenly, he said, "I can run up today. Do you need a ride back to the city too?"

My hand found the back of my neck. "Th-that'd be great. I don't feel like dealing with Carter more than I have to."

After some exchange of details, Ben told me he'd be on his way in about an hour, which left me with more than a few to kill. I stood up with wobbly legs, getting out of the car, and slammed the door shut.

A green, splintered sign sat out in the front, expanded from the recent rain. 'Carter's Shop' was painted in bold, black letters. I stood at the threshold of the front door and the strong smell of gas and leather wafted out. My stomach churned and I turned away to catch my breath.

"Hey," a familiar, harsh voice greeted me. "What can I do for you?"

I pivoted, meeting Carter's gaze as he came out. My hands trembled as I tossed him the keys. "How much this time?"

He chewed on his minty gum and with a sly smile, he answered, "A thousand should do it."

My face burned and my ears were steaming like a tea kettle. I closed my eyes, grinding my teeth as I reached under my hoodie for my wallet.

"Yep," I muttered, pulling ten Benjamin's out and slapped them into his stained, greasy hands. He swiftly put the keys and money into his left overalls pocket. "I also need to use your bathroom."

My stomach boiled, like I was about to hurl. When I tried walking past him, he put his hand on my chest, stopping me in my tracks. He rubbed the tips of his fingers together and I tilted my head to the side.

"Just get rid of the car," I snapped, pulling back.

He smiled, smacking that gum between his dark teeth. "Pleasure doin' business with yah."

I scoffed and walked away. "Wish I could say the same... asshole."

The sun began radiating through the clouds, making it hotter as I traveled through the neighborhoods. I had two options and the thought of smelling all that greasy pizza in Pizza Hut made my face twitch with revulsion. Instead, I settled on seeing Grace, passing multiple groups of teenagers going to school. Some of them held the hands of younger siblings, waddling around with oversized backpacks.