Chapter 11: Nausea

When my head stopped pulsating, I used the wall for support to lift myself off the floor. Melody finally tore her eyes from the corner and followed me to the closet. I removed the unlocked padlock from its hinge and twisted the doorknob. Another one of my renovations.

I pulled one of the cheap plastic drawers towards me that was resting on top of a storage locker and reached in for a roll of duct tape. After ripping a good length, I tossed the roll back inside and slid the drawer closed. Melody started to writhe in the chair again as the tape closed in on her mouth. She shook her head back and forth in an attempt to delay the inevitable. Holding her face still with one hand, and some struggle, I managed to get it on.

I wandered back into the hall, closing the door behind me. I knew if she screamed loud enough without a hindrance, Ben would faintly hear her from the living room and I wasn't in a hurry to prove him right.

Yes, keeping Daniel's daughter as a hostage in my house endangered me, but he was in no way worthy of judging me. His hypocrisy would induce an even greater temper and I didn't have time to deal with my emotions.

Once I entered the living room, I didn't look at Ben until I was swallowed by the loveseat across from him. He stared down at his hands with a glum expression. "Al, my cousin called me. She's really freaked out."

Oh, so that's why you're really here.

I clenched my teeth with frustration then gave him a sarcastic remark, "Your cousin must have missed the definition of confidentiality in her studies."

Honestly, I didn't think my breakdown warranted that breach of confidentiality. She didn't know I was a danger to the Roberts'; all she knew was that I was having a hard time adjusting. Even then, if she was going to tell someone, it shouldn't have been a person of the fucking public.

Ben gave a deep sigh while he raised his left hand to his face. "Dude, I'm sorry, but she has been up my ass about you for a couple of days now, threatening to report you if I didn't come talk to you. What was I supposed to do?" He threw his hand down, exasperated.

Fucking bitch. Rachel must have informed him right after it happened. However, if she would have reported me, chances are that I would have been locked up in the looney bin until my episodes stopped. Perhaps in her eyes—and definitely in mine—that decision would have ruined my friendship with Ben and even though it was a rational fear of hers, I would have been more concerned about it fucking up my revenge on the Roberts. I guess all in all, I should have been thankful for her wanting to help me in an unorthodox way.

"I think maybe I should get a new therapist. How am I supposed to be honest with her when I'm paranoid she could be telling anyone about my problems?" I was monotone, showing no emotion.

"That's the whole reason this got out of control in the first place! You aren't effectively communicating your feelings and it's making it more difficult for her to help you. The only reason she had to tell me was because you wouldn't let her help you and now she's scared you're becoming a danger to yourself. I don't even know why you've been ignoring me because"—he gave a brief pause—"you know you can trust me, right?"

His eyes desperately searched for confirmation, but why should I have deceived him or at least completely? If there was one good thing my father taught me, it was not to trust corrupt people. Although, I wish I learned not to trust all types of people. Maybe if he brought around more decent individuals, I would have realized that everyone was capable of breaking my trust.

I eventually learned, even if it had to be the hard way, when Alice took a liking to Javier. I realized everyone had obscured motives and all she desired was excitement, but then she grew bored of me.