Chapter 10: Truth Be Told

I rolled over on the black couch, seeking a cool portion of its leather, but my head throbbed when the light hit my eyes through the French doors. The ice pack I had was now melted on the floor; a heavy sigh left my mouth at the thought of getting a new one.

I knew I would regret going to sleep, as resting tends to make physical symptoms more apparent. At the time, it seemed like a good idea, since my concentration was okay and my balance was mostly unaffected. I needed to stop feeling sorry for myself regardless of how shitty I felt now. It wasn't anything I couldn't handle.

I felt my ass vibrate and reached up to fish through the back pocket of my jeans. After pulling out Melody's phone, I could tell how trusting she was when it unlocked without a hitch. I suppose she didn't anticipate there would be someone like me in her life, but I didn't plan on leaking her nudes or posting something that would get her scholarships stripped away. My curiosity just got the best of me and to my surprise, it was a Snapchat message from her friend, Jacky.

 My curiosity just got the best of me and to my surprise, it was a Snapchat message from her friend, Jacky

I shifted my attention to her text messages and discovered why her parents weren't worried about her.

With Alice under the impression that Melody was staying with a trusted friend and Jacky thinking she was getting dick, I slid the phone back into my pocket to give my eyes a rest

I was smiling to myself, thinking of Jacky's messages, when I heard someone pound on the front door. I groaned as I lifted my head to look in the direction of the sound, contemplating if I could even stand. Depending on who it was, finding out wouldn't be worth the effort. Hell, for all I knew it was Daniel, but I couldn't give in to perturbation—that boat had already sailed.

Eventually, the person started pounding with such intensity that I thought it would alarm the neighbors. I forced myself up, feeling as though a twenty pound dumbbell was attached to my head, and went to open the door. On the other side of the screen I found my best friend, Ben Garrison, with panicked eyes.

"Hey," I whined after realizing it was him.

"Hey yourself. We need to talk," he huffed through dry, parted lips.