chapter nine ; sparring and sparks

"How much are you willing to bet that Tony is about to do something stupid right now?"

Dahlia, Pietro, and Wanda had been on the plane for six hours now, and they were nearing the point of total insanity. They were currently sitting on the floor of the plane, leaving Steve to fly the plane, and they were bored out of their wits.

"I thought you and Stark were close?" Wanda asked curiously.

"We were, and technically he's still one of my three legal guardians, but he was being a huge jackass the other day, and we still haven't talked about it." Dahlia shrugged.

Pietro turned his head to look at her, resting his head on his arm. "What happened?"

She swallowed thickly. "It wasn't a big deal. He saw the footage of me helping you guys out and he flipped out. He's being stupid."

Wanda looked down at her hands. She was very aware that she caused major distress between the Avengers, who were practically Dahlia's family. "I don't blame him. We... have caused some issues. Your kindness was amazing but we didn't deserve it."

"Wanda," Dahlia looked at her seriously. "You were going to die. I wasn't going to let that happen. It doesn't matter what you've done wrong in your life, everyone deserves help. I know that you guys aren't bad people, it's obvious. You just got led the wrong way. But no way is completely right or wrong. Ultron meant well, and so do we. The Avengers aren't perfect, but that's what makes them human."

"You're too kind for this world." Pietro breathed.

"Yeah, well, sometimes I threaten to murder Thor for trying to steal my popcorn, so no one's perfect." She laughed.

"Well, you're pretty damn close."

Wanda smirked as she watched the two stare at each other, feeling the sexual tension in the air. Pietro had never been close with anyone but her since they were born, really. All their lives, they could only rely on each other, so anyone else playing an important role in their life? Out of the question. But Dahlia? She was different. Wanda could feel it. She radiated a light, positivity, and playfulness that they hadn't experienced even once. It was so vastly different than anything they knew, and Wanda knew that it was driving Pietro crazy.

"I hate to break up the staring contest, or whatever this is, but we're here." Steve said loudly, causing the two to look away from each other immediately.

Dahlia felt a heat creeping onto her cheeks, so she busied herself with helping Wanda off of the ship, hoping that Pietro wouldn't notice the sudden change of color on her face.

Evidently, it didn't work, seeing as he wore a proud smirk as he exited onto the landing pad, prompting a few questioning looks from Cap, which they both just shrugged off, leaving the old man in the dark, where he usually was when it came to relationships of any sort.

"Now, I don't think they'll be particularly thrilled to see..." Steve hesitated. "Some of us. So, be careful, and when in doubt, stay behind me."

Dahlia grinned to hide her apprehension of bringing Pietro and Wanda into the building. "My dear star-spangled-man-with-a-plan, when have I ever listened to what you told me to do?"

Steve rolled his eyes and led the way into the tower, grumbling something under his breath that sounded awfully like 'You turn ninety and all of a sudden a no-good twenty year old thinks they know everything'.

"Love you too, Steve!" Dahlia called up at his retreating figure, with him only responding by shaking his head tiredly.

"He loves me, really." She whispered to the twins.