chapter fourteen ; signing and seperation

Pietro's back ached, his head hurt, he hadn't slept well at all, and yet he was the happiest he had been in ages.

The reason for his strange behavior?

Dahlia Anelace, what else?

The two had spent the night buried in each other's arms, both hiding and shielding the other from the world, which they both knew was not always kind.

If he was being honest, the feelings he felt for the girl that lay in his arms, snoring away, scared him quite a bit. When people claim that their feelings scare them, usually it means that they are afraid of commitment, or that they were wary of a relationship, but for Pietro Maximoff, this was very much not the case.

When he claimed that his feelings scared him, it wasn't in that sort of sense, it was the situation they were in that made the ordeal terrifying. If it was simply the two of them in a small town, with high school dances and truth or dare, Pietro was sure that they would be together in an instant, but being apart of the Avengers, that made everything different.

Every time he thought of a life with Dahlia Anelace, the fear of putting her in danger chased those thoughts off. Not only that, but he also worried about getting hurt himself, and possibly leaving her alone. Who would listen to her sarcasm then?

But, even though it was terrifying, not even the prospect of danger could erase his love for the witty, smart mouthed, cursing brunette.

Her nose twitched in her sleep, causing Pietro to look down at her head on his chest. She looked so peaceful when she was asleep, when she didn't put up a front.

She shook her head a tad and slowly opened her eyes, looking straight up at him and blushing a bright scarlet shade.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer." Dahlia grinned, teasing him and knowing it was working.

Though it was, indeed, working, Pietro didn't let it shock him. "I would, but I think you'd break your camera with your beauty and I don't feel like buying you a new one."

She smacked his arm and 'coughed' to hide her blush, though he had already seen it. She took another look at his electric blue eyes, and looked down as she talked.

"I know we joke a lot, but I really appreciate you talking to me last night. I probably would've kept it all bottled up unless someone forced it out of me."

Pietro genuinely smiled at the thought of being needed in her life. He opened his mouth to reply, but was interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Come in." Dahlia said to whoever the person was.

Wanda opened the door and was about to speak, but her words fell flat as she saw her brother and Dahlia curled up by the window. No one had seen either of them since last night, and now the pieces were starting to fit together.

"Well, I hope I'm not interrupting anything," She winked dramatically and Dahlia laughed. "But you both should get ready, there's a whiny little bitch downstairs, waiting to talk to us."

"Oh, but Dahlia's right here!"

Dahlia punched him in the arm before turning to look at Wanda. "Who is it?"

"The Secretary of State or something."

She groaned and hid her face in Pietro's chest again. It was starting to become a force of habit. "I hate that guy. Thanks though, Wanda."

Wanda turned to leave, but Dahlia stopped her. "Oh, and Wan?"

"Yeah?"

"Take your idiot of a brother with you, please, before he can make another joke about watching me get dressed."