chapter twenty-two ; dust and death wheels

Dahlia Anelace's bucket list was completely and utterly strange. From painting the Pope's car rainbow to throwing a watermelon at the U.S. president, there was practically nothing that anyone could do, no matter how outrageous, that wasn't on that list and crossed off.

Well, at least, she thought there wasn't, until today.

She hadn't happened to mention riding a giant spikey alien wheel of terror, for some reason.

Well, on this very day, she was able to add that item to the list and cross it off in the span of an hour.

With Thor at the helm of the battle, the aliens had doubled down on their forces, hitting them twice as hard as they had before.

They had launched eight different 'Threshers' across the field. These machines were meant purely for chaos, and they destroyed everything in their path, friend and foe alike.

"Fall back! Fall back now!" T'Challa's voice tore through the crowd.

However, Dahlia wasn't the type to listen when she had made up her mind, not even to a direct order.

Pietro was busy helping Bucky face Proxima Midnight, so she was free from the fight that he would almost certainly put up if he heard her insane plan.

Dahlia tied her hair up into a ponytail and tried to mentally build up her nerve. Usually, she had plenty, and she still had some, but for something like this... she needed all that she could get.

"You got this Dahlia, c'mon you've got this." She muttered under her breath, and before she could change her mind, broke into a run.

Dahlia grabbed two huge chains that lay where the aliens had left it, and hauled them halfway across the field, towards the wheels of death.

This is fucking crazy, and I'm almost 100% sure that I'll end up dying in the process, but die fast and leave a sexy corpse, am I right?

She moved fast, making sure to not leave any time in which she would rethink this whole situation. Dahlia reached the leftmost wheel and launched herself into the air, wrapping one of the chains around a piece of metal that was stuck out of the side.

Before it could get too far ahead, she ran to the other side, doing the same. After grabbing the far end of both the chains, she paused.

"All right, this is the moment of truth." Dahlia let out a shuddering breath and launched herself in the air, scaling the spikes all the way up to the top.

With a chain in each hand, Dahlia began to run atop the wheels, which were continuously turning, since it was the only way to stay stable.

Upon discovering it was actually possible to stay upright, she decided to carry out the most pivotal part of her plan.

She pulled the right chain hard, and just as she hoped, the wheels complied, turning to the right and running over a pack of alien creatures.

"Fuck yeah! I'm a damn god!"

Dahlia's holler carried across the field, and warriors from both sides turned to see the young woman, perched atop eight Threshers and grinning like a maniac.