chapter twenty-eight ; beasts and bloodshed

"Damn, Pietro. You're looking old."

"Five years apart, and that's the first thing you have to say to me? You're unbelievable."

The Maximoff twins were never ones to show their emotions willingly or obviously. From a young age, they had learned to bottle up their feelings, knowing that the world was far too dark and cold to treat them as equals if they showed any humanity whatsoever.

This never wavered throughout their adult lives, serving them well in battles and war, never trusting anyone except the other. Slowly, with time and help from their respective partners, they both learned to open up, to care, and to love, though at different paces.

However, they tended to fall back into their old habits from time to him, hence their nonchalant greetings after five years of separation.

Pietro was rather annoyed at himself in that moment. His mind was screaming, 'I missed you! Every day I wanted you to come back, I felt like a piece of me was gone!', but his lips would never permit such a thing to pass through, instead only allowing a snarky comment to make its way out.

Wanda Maximoff looked just as she had back in Wakanda, like a day hadn't passed. Well, technically, for her, it hadn't.

Pain was evident in her eyes as well, but a different kind from her twin brothers'. For her, it was merely five minutes from when the love of her life was slaughtered, all to fuel a madman's idea of universal peace. But Wanda hated pity, despised the very idea. So, she covered up her aching heart with a smirk and a sarcastic remark, leaving her heartbreak to be dealt with when she was alone.

Pietro held out his hand for her to help him up, but was left hanging as Wanda saw Dahlia lying in the rubble.

The female Maximoff nearly squealed at the sight of her brother's girlfriend, and really, her best friend. "I see you're still with my douchebag of a brother."

Dahlia took Wanda's outstretched hand, pulling her into a hug. "My favorite Maximoff!"

Pietro climbed up out of the rubble they were buried underneath, dusting himself off with an offended look on his face. "So, my girlfriend prefers my sister, and my sister prefers my girlfriend... I'm honestly feeling so left out right now."

She patted him on the shoulder with a teasing smile. "You should, I'd leave you for Wanda in a heartbeat."

The aforementioned woman turned to her brother, proudly crossing her arms. "You hear that? Be careful next time you think of pissing me off."

He opened his mouth to respond, but found himself speechless after another glowing gold portal opened beside the one Wanda had appeared out of, and another, and another.

Pietro cleared his throat and managed to croak out another word before trailing off. "Holy..."

"Fuck." Dahlia finished, looking just as astounded as he did.

Echoes of a thousand soldier's footsteps could be heard and felt through the ground, the vibrations sending countless shudders through her spine. The two adjusted their posture, suddenly feeling very inadequate amongst these warriors.

Heroes from all corners of the universe stepped out of the various portals, armed and ready for battle.

Dahlia found herself in the midst of a powerful lineup, surrounded by Asgardians, Avengers, Wakandans, and Ravagers alike.

"Dahlia! Dahlia! Hey!"

A familiar, young voice called out to her. She spun around, looking for the source, and found Peter Parker standing there, trying to look determined but failing to hide the giddy grin peeking through.