Chapter 27 - Back Home

Meanwhile, back at home, it began getting dark out. On a regular Sunday - when werewolves were just a tale to scare little children, Jiang Cheng and Wei Ying would've normally spent the day pinned in front of the TV screen watching garbage shows until their heart's content. Those days Jiang Cheng wouldn't have taken notice of such minor detail as the afternoon sun fading away, because there was no need too. But those days are no more, thanks to the unwanted werewolves next door.

With Wei Ying having not returned from his so-called 'training session,' as yet after having been away with Lan Zhan almost the entire day, the thought that something awful had happened clouded Jiang Cheng's mind like a dark wall of foggy nothingness.

After having been sitting on the couch all day, eating popcorn, drinking soda, and watching Sunday's soap-operas, Jiang Cheng found his fingers began itching again for the tenth time from distressing about his brother's whereabouts.

Jiang Cheng sighed. Licking the greasy butter off his fingers, he reached for his phone beside the couch and quickly hit the call button on Wei Ying's number. However, when the call went straight to voicemail, he slammed the phone down in frustration and said to himself, "You're just overthinking things. There's nothing to be worrying over. That little shit is probably doing the dirty with his POS (piece of shit) boyfriend."

That's what Jiang Cheng kept telling himself until he heard a loud smashing sound - as if someone crashed into the backyard fence followed by a strained groan. Unlike his oblivious brother, Jiang Cheng was no fool when it came to danger, and he had been prepared long before Lan Zhan moved in next door.

Rushing behind the steps leading upstairs, he grabbed his baseball bat - a hidden treasure he kept in case of burglars, from the side and headed straight for the kitchen window where he could get a better view of what's going on outside. However, before he could get across the hall, the front door came crashing down along with Nie Mingjue, startling Jiang Cheng.

Claws retracted and eyes shun frosted blue, Mingjue grunted and flipped himself off the floor. "What the fuck?" Jiang Cheng gulped, gripping tighter against the steel bat till his knuckles turned pink.

Mingue staggered and swayed. His clothes were dirty and his hair twisted into a heaping mess. Jiang Cheng was genuinely concerned for the man as he stood ready to fight with whatever, or whoever, knocked Mingjue toward the ruined front door - which, Jiang Cheng might add, he wouldn't be paying to get repaired.

Jiang Cheng didn't move a muscle when Mingjue directed his attention toward him and shouted for him to hide. "Get upstairs before you get hurt," Mingjue growled, wanting to scare Jiang Cheng off.

Instead, "Fuck no," Jiang Cheng said, standing his ground. "What the hell happened? Who's out there? And where's Xichen?"

"It's Song Lan," Mingjue gritted out. A scold upon his barely bruised face. "He came here for you. If -"

Confused, "For me?" Jiang Cheng interrupted. "What the fuck. What did I do?"

"Xue Yang must've sent him," Mingue grumbled. "That's just how the little pest plays. You're lucky we've been keeping an eye on you, and if you ask me, you're quite annoying to be watching over. Now get upstairs."

Jiang Cheng tsked, "You fleabags have been spying on me?"

"We wouldn't have to if you'd just come to stay with us when Xichen asked you to," Mingjue gritted out. "It looks like Song Lan had been watching you too - Wait - Now's not the time for chit chats, get the hell upstairs."

Jiang Cheng knew now wasn't the time to be acting bravely, but seeing Mingjue staggered for a second time in his movements as he stared past the front door waiting for Song Lan to appear, Jiang Cheng knew if he doesn't help, they'll both be dead. "Where's Xichen?" He asked again in all seriousness.

Mingjue appeared ashamed when he said, "He's at the restaurant down the road buying something for us to eat. It gets nerve-wracking watching you eat all day while we starve."

Jiang Cheng huffed, "Of course -"

Jiang Cheng silenced himself when Song Lan's dark figure appeared, stopping in front of the door-jamb. He wore a grey turtleneck sweater layered with a black trench coat, an odd choice of clothing considering it was rather warm out. Song Lan's eyes were a deadly red, almost like boiled blood, and his face looked stoic - almost robotic. And although a few strands of hair strayed away from the bun he placed them in, Song Lan had not a scratch in sight, leaving Jiang Cheng to wonder if Mingjue had put up any sort of fighting.

Song Lan's gaze didn't linger too far. From Jiang Cheng, he looked, then back toward Mingjue. His facial expression remained unfazed by Mingjue's constant growling. "Mingjue," Song Lan spoke for the very first time. "I'm not here to fight you."

"Then why are you here?" Mingjue growled, slowly inching his feet near Jiang Cheng as his way of offering protection. "Our quarrel doesn't involve the human."

Song Lan sighed. "Trust me, I don't want to be here as much as you don't want to see me here. But you know that once you brought Xichen to his brother's home, you would involve them all. That includes Lan Zhan's little college friend, Wei Ying, and his sprinter brother over here," Song Lan pointed a finger at Jiang Cheng.

Nie Mingjue, "You're going to have to go through me first if you intend on harming him."

"Hmm," Song Lan hummed, "How lovely of you picking up for the human boy. However, that won't be a problem. But hey, don't blame me, it's Yang-Yang's idea. You know he's always experimenting with his little playthings. Remembered - Oh, what's his name? That's right." Song Lan clicked his finger and smirk as if recalling a foul sort of detail from the past. "Meng Yao. It's a shame you weren't able to protect him," Song Lan said mockingly.

The name must've done something to Mingjue because when he growled and fisted his palms until blood swept out, Song Lan snickered a twisted chuckle and stated, "I'm just here on Yang-Yang's orders. To see to it, he has as much fun as he pleases. Anyway, enough small talk. Step aside Mingjue, I came here for the boy," Song Lan turned his attention toward Jiang Cheng, "You there, with the bat."

Eyes blew wide, "Me?" Jiang Cheng pointed at himself.

Song Lan rolled his eyes. "Is there anyone else in this room holding a bat?" He questioned in an almost sarcastic tone, courtesy of being around Xue Yang for far too long. When Jiang Cheng nodded, Song Lan sighed for a second time. "I should've known talking to a human would be useless," Song Lan said.

Jiang Cheng chuckled dryly, "Come and tell me that to my face, wolf-boy."

Gritting his teeth, Song Lan said, "With pleasure."

Before Mingjue could intervene, Song Lan drew a bright golden dagger - no more than five inches - out of his coat. Despite it being night, the golden object glistened. Then everything happened so fast. Song Lan flung the sharp metal object across the room toward Jiang Cheng, directly stabbing him in the right shoulder blade.

For a split second, Jiang Cheng remained unaware of what happened, until he felt discomfort on his shoulder. Gazing on the side, toward the source of the rising ache, what he saw next terrified him.

The end of a dagger sticking out of his shoulder, turning his once white shirt into a rich crimson. Jiang Cheng heaved a daring breath. He wanted to remain brave in the face of danger. But when the strain intensified, his vision wavered, and he soon found himself unable to stand, that's when he collapsed against the floor.

Song Lan made no other attempt to attack. He just stood there and watched with a smile upon his face as Mingjue rushed by Jiang Cheng's side. Jiang Cheng felt his face landing against Mingjue's sweat-covered chest. And the last thing he heard from Song Lan before his vision began fading into nothingness was, "Tell Xichen to be prepared for a blood spill." Then, like the speed of light, Song Lan disappeared out of the front door.

- If you've enjoyed this chapter, please don't forget to Vote & Comment. Thank You.