Chapter 18 - Suck At Explaining

The afternoon autumn rays shone brightly through the bedroom window of Lan Zhan's home, reflecting off of Wei Ying and painting his motionless body in the richness of the evening orange that usually engulfed the neighborhood during this quiet time. 

He turned and twisted, yawned, and murmured incoherent words in his sleep. His eyelashes fluttered a few times but quickly shut themselves when light forced its way in, causing Wei Ying to cling tighter into the cotton sheets while curling himself back into a ball, falling into a deep slumber once again. 

Four hours passed, then six, then eight, then ten, then twelve. It's morning now. Wei Ying had slept for at least thirty-four hours. His body needed rest after going through drastic changes, so none bothered to disturb him, for he needed to heal, and heal he did.

Wei Ying's bones molted back into its rightful place, and the burning heat he'd once felt, eradicated. The constant urge to vomit and the ache in his gums went away. 

He smiled in his sleep, not wanting to wake up, but when the morning sun poked it's way past the window, and the birds began humming outside, and the creak in downstairs floorboards was all too much of a nuisance to be ignored, Wei Ying finally groaned, flinging the bedsheets off.

"Can't a guy get some peace and quiet?" Wei Ying mumbled to himself as he sat up. There was something different to him, something he couldn't quite put a finger too. Wei Ying felt like a new man, strong and all. He stretched his arms out and yawned. When his bones crack like a ninety-year-old man, Wei Ying shrugged and glanced down, tugging against the white tee-shirt he wore. "Who -How did I - No, It can't be, can it?" Suddenly, the image of what transpired during the night of the full moon swept through him like a tidal wave. "Shit."

Although his mind stood black at what exactly occurred, flashes still clung to him. Wei Ying remembered seeing Xichen, screaming, and an anxious Lan Zhan. There were talking, a lot of talking. Something about alpha and soulmates, Wei Ying also remembered throwing up, crying even, and the pain, the pain that sent shivers just thinking about it.

With his feet on the ground, "It's over," Wei Ying told himself, for the idea of going through a transformation again felt like a fate worse than death. 

Just then, the door was pushed open, and Lan Zhan entered. When the sunlight glistened against Lan Zhan's porcelain cheeks, Wei Ying didn't understand why he gasped. Wei Ying might not admit, but in his eyes, there are aspects of Lan Zhan Wei Ying deemed to be perfection. He knew of Lan Zhan's rare beauty, admired him for it, considering Lan Zhan's practically the age of his great-great-many-great grandfather.

"Wei Ying," Lan Zhan came up, taking a seat beside him. "You're awake, finally."

Scooting away from Lan Zhan, Wei Ying knitted his brows together. "What do you mean," Wei Ying asked in a hoarse voice, "how long have I been asleep?"

"Almost two days," Wei Ying gasped. Lan Zhan placed the back of his palm against Wei Ying's forehead, "How are you feeling?"

"Great," Wei Ying mumbled honestly. "Better than before, like a lot. Where's Jiang Cheng? And your brother, he's awake, isn't he? I saw him when, you know."

"Brother's alright," Lan Zhan cleared his throat, "And, about Jiang Cheng, um, when you screamed, he passed out -"

Wei Ying, "What?"

Lan Zhan, "Don't worry, he's alright now. Brother had him checked out at the hospital, just minor internal bleeding. Brother's at your home in case Jiang Cheng needs help with anything. He should be back anytime now."