Chapter 28 - Hospital Room

In the middle of the night, the clouds rolled back like smoke, hiding away the star scattered sky, Wei Ying and Lan Zhan rushed to the hospital. In the passenger's seat, Wei Ying's panicked pleads forced Lan Zhan to drive faster, and faster Lan Zhan went. But despite going past the speed limit, it wasn't fast enough.

Lan Zhan had gotten a text message from Xichen while they were half-way home. He informed them Jiang Cheng was attacked and injured by Song Lan. He received stab wounds, and they were taking him to the hospital, Xichen said. Xichen sounded calm. He told Lan Zhan not to worry and they should be cautious on the road, but Wei Ying heard the older man's voice crack through the phone, and he knew being cautious was the least of their worries.

Suddenly, the car felt tight and lacking in air. He should've never left his brother home alone. Wei Ying blamed himself. Without hesitation, he would do anything for his brother, and right now Jiang Cheng needed him.

"Lan Zhan," Wei Ying called out in desperation. His insides hurt and burned like wildfire. He dug his twitching fingers through the loose strands of hair, shutting his eyes. Wei Ying didn't know what to do, not that he could do anything at the moment, which weighed over his shoulder. "Lan Zhan, what if he doesn't make it? Lan Zhan, I -" Wei Ying choked back a sob. "Gosh, hurry up," He complained.

Lan Zhan reached for Wei Ying's fingers, "Wei Ying," Lan Zhan answered, worried as he gave Wei Ying's palm a tight squeeze in reassurance. "I'm here. Breathe." Lan Zhan's eyes searched Wei Ying's own for some clarity that Wei Ying wasn't going insane. He found none. "Jiang Cheng is strong, he'll survive. My brother will see it that he does. Don't panic, we'll get there in time. Don't worry."

"Ayah, but I have to worry," Wei Ying sighed. "You won't understand what it feels like to have a younger brother because you're the younger brother Lan Zhan. Younger brothers are annoying babies that need to be protected."

"I'm not a baby," Lan Zhan corrected. "And Xichen doesn't consider me annoying."

Wei Ying tsked and shook his head in disbelief at Lan Zhan's wittiness. "Whatever makes you sleep better at night," He joked before reality stepped in again. "I shouldn't have left home."

"I promise you Jiang Cheng will be alright," Lan Zhan assured once again.

Wei Ying wanted to believe him, so he did. Though his heart failed to ease and lips continued quivering, Wei Ying rested his head against Lan Zhan's shoulder. Closing his eyes, he inhaled the scent of sandalwood, instantly shedding burdens for some much-needed comfort.

And when Lan Zhan kissed him once on the forehead, Wei Ying couldn't resist himself from saying, "You big fuddy-duddy, when all this is over I'll need a year's worth of paid vacation."

Lan Zhan smiled. A small, impactful smile that smoothed Wei Ying's racing heart, for the little things mattered the most when being around Lan Zhan.

----------

The moment Lan Zhan pulled into the hospital driveway, Wei Ying flung himself out of the car and raced past the hospital doors while ignoring the angry stares of passersby who he accidentally bumped into. Luckily Lan Zhan apologized while at the same time trying to keep up with a hectic Wei Ying.

Wei Ying stumbled his way over to the receptionist's desk, startling the young nurse. "Jiang Cheng," he said, breathless. "Someone named Jiang Cheng came in here about an hour and a half now with stab wounds, where is he?"

The woman, short and face composed by Wei Ying's creeping dread, said, "And you are?" She asked, tilting her spectacles and yawned. To Wei Ying's dismay, she didn't appear to be the least bit concerned. And when she started eyeing Lan Zhan like a piece of arm candy, Wei Ying tightened his jaw in jealousy.