Chapter 8 - Burning up

When they arrived back at Lan Zhan's home, Lan Xichen was nowhere to be seen or heard. Lan Zhan paid his brother's untimely absence no mind as he huddled Wei Ying to lay on the far edge of his living room sofa and went in search of human medicine Lan Zhan was sure won't be of any use.

----------

Checking Wei Ying's temperature, Lan Zhan sighed. Just as he'd suspected, Wei Ying was beginning to have a fever. 

It's the first step in determining whether Wei Ying would live or die. Lan Zhan couldn't help the feeling of uneasiness, Lan Xichen had assured Lan Zhan the night before that Wei Ying would survive. Still, that piece of information didn't help in calming Lan Zhan's turmoil. Lan Zhan only prayed Wei Ying would overcome the flu-like illness so the transformation could take its place.

"Wei Ying," Lan Zhan draped a damp cloth against Wei Ying's heated forehead, "how are you feeling? Has the pain gotten worse? Wei Ying, you're staying by me for the night." 

There was no room for an argument. Lan Zhan made his point, and Wei Ying must listen - Lan Zhan hoped Wei Ying would listen, for he doesn't want them to have a disagreement that could lead to them fighting. 

Wei Ying slapped the cloth away when it touched his lips. "Why am I burning up?" Wei Ying rasped out, pushing the cloth further away when Lan Zhan attempted to wipe at Wei Ying's temples. "Lan Zhan, everything hurts. I wasn't like this, this morning. Am I dying? Is that what's happening?"

"I don't think so," Lan Zhan took a seat beside Wei Ying on the sofa. 

"What do you mean?" Wei Ying began panicking, and then a hiss fell from his lips. "Wen Chao," Wei Ying groaned, remembering what he'd done earlier. Wei Ying was sure he would be getting a call from the school later. Or worse, a visit from the police. "Shit, I didn't think things through. Did you tell Jiang Cheng you brought me here?"

Lan Zhan nodded a no. Lan Zhan heard Wei Ying's racing heart. Lan Zhan didn't know what to do. He - an alpha, had reduced himself into a panicking little boy all because he couldn't control his urges to claim what he thought at the moment was rightfully his. Wei Ying didn't belong to him. Once again, Lan Zhan cursed himself for what he'd done.

"I forgot," Lan Zhan whispered out, "I only thought of you. You told me to take you home, that's what I did. Jiang Cheng," Lan Zhan snarled at Wei Ying's brother's name, "isn't important."

Wei Ying hissed as if stung by Lan Zhan's comment. Wei Ying knew the two didn't like each other, but that doesn't mean they should remain that way forever. "He's my brother, it's important that he knows."

Lan Zhan lowered his head in shame, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean -"

"You've been watching me all day, haven't you?" Wei Ying asked, changing the subject and eyeing Lan Zhan suspiciously. 

Lan Zhan was taken back. He wanted to lie, make up an excuse. Perhaps change the topic. Yet he found himself nodding a yes like a guilty puppy having been caught in the act of misbehaving. 

"Why?" Wei Ying questioned, a growing rage slowly building up in his voice.

Head cast downward, "I wanted to protect you if anything were to happen," Lan Zhan said with a pout. Then, as if his hand had a mind of its own, Lan Zhan rested his palm on top of Wei Ying's own. "I hurt you, and I'm trying to make up for it."

"You did this to me," Wei Ying snapped, slapping Lan Zhan's hand away and bolting up from the sofa. "This is all your fault."

"I know," Lan Zhan replied.