Chapter 33 - Afterward

Lan Zhan hopped off his bike just seconds before the school bell rang. His eyes searched for his lover through the crowd of unruly students making their way outside the school's compound. And when Wei Ying finally came into view and waved at him, Lan Zhan smiled, grabbing the extra helmet off his bike, and waited for Wei Ying to arrive.

It's been several months since Xue Yang's attack. Several months had passed since Lan Zhan had been walking around with a wedding ring inside his pocket, patiently waiting for the right time to ask for Wei Ying's hand in marriage.

Although in the past, marriage came up once or twice. And - to Lan Zhan's dismay, Wei Ying assured him they would have to wait until he graduated college. Considering Lan Zhan had always been a patient man, he didn't mind the wait. So he kept the ring inside his pocket as a reminder of the promises he made together with Wei Ying. The promise of a future together, be it perfect or not.

Much hasn't changed drastically since the fight that night, apart from the hefty price Lan Zhan had to pay for the re-gardening of his backyard. However, there were a few changes, Lan Zhan couldn't quite wrap his head around.

One being; Jiang Cheng. It still baffled Lan Zhan by the sudden change in Jiang Cheng's demeanor. Jiang Cheng has become more, understanding? Welcoming? Lan Zhan wasn't sure what to make of Wei Ying's younger brother's odd behavior. But he figured it might have something to do with Jiang Cheng now living alone.

Ah yes, splendid news. Wei Ying moved in and they're living together. And thankfully Xichen and Mingjue moved out once everything had gotten settled down, so they have the house to themselves, (wink wink.) Although Lan Zhan missed his older brother, he understood from a young age Xichen was never one to stick around for too long, and since he'd already had a life of his own, it was understandable why he would want to leave.

On the downside, Jiang Cheng frequently comes over and talks about his never-ending quest for attempting the impossible. (i.e. He's still hooked on that woman from the TV commercial; Wen Qing.) And despite Lan Zhan being forced to listen throughout Jiang Cheng's unattainable ordeal during dinner times, Wei Ying's brightened smile whenever his brother spoke made it worth sitting through Jiang Cheng's tortures.

Oh, sometimes Wei Ying's classmates come over. Nie Huaisang and Wen Ning, ugh. Don't get Lan Zhan wrong. He adored Wei Ying, and if Wei Ying wanted to bring his friends over during the weekends when they were supposed to be having alone time together, then so be it. But from their constant chattering and unnecessary noise-making, that's usually the worst time to be in the house.

Altogether, life had been generous toward them.

"Lan Zhan!" Wei Ying wrapped his arms around Lan Zhan's shoulders and stiffed out his thoughts altogether. "Ugh, you have no idea what a terrible day today's been."

Lan Zhan rolled his eyes as he wrapped his arms around Wei Ying. Wei Ying complaining about school was nothing new. It had been this way every day since he'd been preparing for the upcoming test before graduation. "Hmm," Lan Zhan hummed, gave him the extra helmet, and kissed him on the cheek. "We'll stop for ice cream on our way back," Lan Zhan continued as he hopped on the bike.

Wei Ying joined him and chuckled. The snorts and giggles he made were breathtaking. The sounds gave Lan Zhan a sort of comfort. And when Wei Ying wrapped his arms around his waist and leaned his head into Lan Zhan's shoulder, Lan Zhan found peace.

"I love you, Lan Zhan," Wei Ying whispered.

Lan Zhan smiled. Peace indeed. Life definitely had been generous toward them. "I love you too, Wei Ying," he replied.

----------

Three months later, Wei Ying graduated with a bachelor's degree in medicine.

A year later, they got married.

And five years later, they adopted a small child, A'Yuan.

THE END.