chapter 13 ∞ wicked knives

Nova

"I'm sorry I unintentionally ditched you earlier but can you please drive me and Willow home?" I practically plead, begging him to say yes.

He looks awfully confused I feel almost bad for bombarding him, "What?"

"Did you drive here?" I repeat louder.

Noah nods, then tilts his head and stares at something behind my head, "What is going on between you two? Jesus, he looks real riled up—"

Someone grabs onto my other hand and whips my entire body around, only to yell in my face, "Fucking no." Jackson shouts, laughing maniacally and pointing to Noah, "Literally anyone but him, are you shitting me?"

I feel Willow urging me back again, probably out of fear of Jack's harsh actions. I've already caught onto the fact that he acts a little out of bounds when he's drunk from the alcohol intoxication. But my head doesn't seem blurry anymore — it's stone cold clear.

"What do you have against him? What did he do to you?"

I walk up obnoxiously close to him and shove my finger into his chest, pushing him back with every word, "Answer. Me."

He looks taken aback and I simply feed it onto my ego. I caught Jackson Cadestone off guard. How fun. It's starting to turn into a wicked little game on my end. And I'm very much enjoying the confusion laced into his face.

But he catches on rather quickly with his reflex to grab onto my wrist quite tight. Standing next to Jack, Tyler notices and walks up to stop him but I motion for him to freeze. Jack's eyebrows are knit together as he looks back and forth between me and Noah whom I am assuming is still behind me.

"You're not gonna make me answer you. The hell makes you think you can do that?" He states grimly, squeezing harder onto my forearm.

I let out a dry laugh and slowly twist my wrist out of his hand, "Don't try to mindfuck me. I'm a whole lot more sober than you are." My hand is finally released and I rub my fingers along the burning part of my skin.

"Not to mention, you're a whole lot more insecure than I thought too." I add, turning away before he can give me a reaction. I don't bother to look at Willow because I already know what she would start to say. She would just scold me for going out of my boundaries. Ones she knows only certain people have the nerve to cross.

I walk to Noah and ask for the last and final time, "Noah, if you can't drive just say—"

"Let's go." He mutters, grabbing a hold of my hand and nodding over to Willow for her to follow. I can feel heat flare up in my hands. His hand is really warm.

"Insecure?!"

I hear his voice booming through my ears, vibrating with the music.

"Via, who the fuck are you calling insecure?!"

Noah practically starts jogging out of the house, Willow trailing behind us as he starts to approach this incredibly shining-looking black BMW. 

"Get in." He tells us as Willow immediately opens the backseat door, which I oppose to quickly.

"Get in shotgun." I point to her and she shakes her head, nodding over at Noah who is already getting into the driver's. 

"Talk to him." She smiles at me and looks back, only for us to notice Jackson and Tyler chasing on after us for no apparent reason now. Before I could argue with her, she quickly gets into the car and a different voice calls after me.

I turn to see Tyler.

"Nova, can you listen to me for one sec! Just one minute!" He yells, out of breath, and puts his hands onto his knees, "Jesus christ, I can't breathe."