Chapter 18 || Out of the Wing

Tom and Abraxas stared at the lying figure of Vivienne Pearce with uncharacteristic concern. The Hospital Wing was gloomily illuminated by the cloud-covered sun that reflected the atmosphere of the stale place. The matron was away for a while to tend to other students and that left the two Slytherins to converse to each other quietly.

"What exactly happened, again?" the platinum blonde inquired to the other snake while their gazes were still on their female friend.

"A panic attack," Tom replied, his usual cold and blank face written with grim. "According to her roommates, she blacked out before she could enter the Gryffindor Tower."

Abraxas let out a short hum as a response, his brows knit together questioningly and his pale fingers tapping the side desk in a frantic pattern. "What exactly do you think she heard in her vision?"

The raven-haired was about to answer but an alarmingly high-pitched voice of the matron cried out loud. Both of their attention shattered immediately and watched in awe as Professor Flitwick and the lady of the Wing brought in an unknown Ravenclaw student with his body rigid like a Greek statue staring off in the air.

"Both of you!" the matron barked, "visit time is over! Leave this place, now!"

Tom and Abraxas shared a look before nodding mutely, strolling out of the stoned, hollow room without a protest. Once they closed the wooden door, they stayed quiet for a while, shock striking through them while the muffled voice behind them talked in pure panic.

Tom was biting his lips so hard he wouldn't be surprised to see blood on his white teeth. "Perhaps it's time to enter the chamber," he spoke silently, voice smooth and steady that secured every emotion that he may be possessing.

The other snapped towards him, his face showing great fear and startled at the declaration. "We don't even know how to prepare ourselves from that thing!" he exclaimed in a hush. "And are we really going to do it without Vivienne?"

Tom stayed still for a while, his body rigid like the unconscious student in the Hospital. Then he turned towards Abraxas with determination flaring in his eyes as his accustomed arrogant smirk playing on his lips that always unnerved the others and sent shivers on their spines.

"I have a plan," he said. "But I'm going to warn you, we're going to get a kick out of it from Vivienne."

«««««

The soft light of a burning candle bathed my eyes dimly through my closed lids, the soft sound of someone's footsteps echoing across the walls that landed vaguely on my ears. With my vision still dark, I attempted to recall what had happened that led me to lay on a bed but the harder I tried, my mind turned blanker than ever. Letting out an inaudible sigh, I used my hands to stabilize while I shakily got myself up from the bed and hesitantly opened my eyes. Scanning the surrounding, I realized with a start that I was in the Hospital Wing.

"Oh, good. You're awake."

Looking up quizzically, I was more than surprised to see my two, dear Slytherin friends standing beside my bed. Jumping, I scrambled blindly and swung my feet on the ground and sprung up, ignoring the piercing cold stone beneath me.

"What are you two doing here?" I whispered feverishly.

"Happy to see you too, Vivienne," Abraxas retorted sharply, though his relieved face broke his emotionless composure.

Despite my annoyance, I smiled genuinely and shook my head in defeat. "Alright, but what happened to me?"

"You don't remember?" Tom asked, his head tilted to the side.