Chapter 2 || To Be Determined

The hardest thing about planning on going to Hogwarts is the fact that I can't tell anything to my friends, especially Annabeth. The first excuse I came up was going to a boarding school and I needed to go buy my stuff the other week. Well, that's half of the truth, right?

Anyways, let's see. I already told this to my father — the whole truth — bought all the items, and already was informed everything about platform 9 ¾ so I should be alright.

The air was crisp and the weather hot and sunny. I was eating quietly at the Hermes' table during lunch, shutting out every voice that wasn't directed to me. But the peaceful moment was interrupted when a snarky voice spoke.

"Oh, look at that, the freak isn't still claimed yet," Clarisse, the daughter of Ares, sneered. The rest of her friends laughed along, their not-so-pretty face turning more ill-favoured than before.

"Well, look at that, the people who are claimed don't seem to have dignity at all," I murmured to myself. I got myself in this situation multiple times and I don't think this would be my last, but I did learn how to ignore them... well, as much as I could.

Clarisse and the other's face was red and fuming as they stood there like an angry flock of birds.

"Heard you going to some boarding school. Did your daddy finally give up on raising you?"

My knuckles turned white from gripping the fork too tight and attempted to not raise to the bait. Now the other demigods were also staring at the interaction between me and the daughter of Ares.

"You shouldn't get involved in people's business, Clarisse," I spoke through gritted teeth.

She smirked and leaned towards me. "So it's true then? Did he have enough of you?"

That comment made me snap all of my patience I had and rose to my feet and glared at her threateningly. "Shut it!"

Then the fireplace suddenly extinguished to ashes. The atmosphere became dark and misty, despite the sun still shining as if the light was swallowed away to darkness.

And I was holding a torch in my hand that lit the room with a scorching white flame.

The chatters instantly died when it all happened. Demigods, Chiron, and even Mr D looked up from his Diet Coke to stare at me. I felt my head was spinning as I stared at the torch that was the only light source in the hall. This can't be happening, after three years of waiting.

"Vivienne Pearce" Chiron's voice seemed to cut through the air, his tone indicating the shock still tricking inside of him; "you have been determined as the Daughter of Hecate, Mother of Spells and Magic, Controller of Mist and Crossroads."

Petrified on the stop, the finely engraved wood slipped out of my hand, the fire blown out and disappeared as soon as it touched the floor. The covered darkness lifted, the sun coming to life once more. Taking a step back, I couldn't stay in the surprised stricken stares from others. Kicking my feet off the stoned floor, I ran to my favourite place.

The forest.

It was dangerous, but it was one of the few places where most campers avoided to enter unless we were playing a game of capture the flag. Sitting on a boulder, I hugged my knees towards my chest as I gazed the flowing river blankly. I was mad at my mother, now known as Hecate. Three years. I waited for three years and now she wants to claim me as her child?

Throwing a pebble furiously in the water, I heaved a heavy sigh. My chest was rising and dropping rapidly due to anger, biting my lower lip, I didn't realize someone was walking towards me.

"Hey."

Turning my head to the right, I saw Annabeth smiling uncertainly. Returning the favour, I followed her movement with my eyes as she sat next to me on the boulder.