CHAPTER 6

"IF YOU HATED ME so much, then why did you keep me?" I watched as the duke's eyes widened in disbelief at my sudden question

His eyes were filled with regret as he moved from his seat. My gaze was stuck on him as the duke approached me closer.

"Elisse," he called as he kneeled in front of me, an act that no nobleman would do.

'Why are you doing this?' I wanted to ask him that very question, but I couldn't.

"I didn't bring you here because I hated you," he said as he reached for my hands, clasping them between his. The duke was teary-eyed as he looked up to me. It felt as if he was begging for forgiveness, at the same time not forcing me to forgive him.

"I apologize for making you feel this way, my child. I had always believed that I was doing the right thing. I had thought that leaving you alone was for the better, so no one would take advantage of you. I was under the belief that providing the necessities you need would be enough, but I was wrong to do that."

It was my first-time hearing someone explain their side to me. Their reasons for doing their questionable actions, and the thoughts they had when they did them. And I wasn't sure how to respond to that.

One thing I was sure of was the duke's honesty.

"I know this isn't an excuse for my incompetence and negligence as your father. I deeply apologize for my shortcomings and ignorance. I will let you do as you please, just ensure that you'll be safe with whatever your choices are."

I could feel the duke's words reaching my heart, and I couldn't move away from it anymore. But why now? Why now when everything has changed for me? Why now of all times when I have decided to focus on myself?

I pulled my hand from his grasp and abruptly stood up from my seat. He watched me with his eyes that resembled mine filled with remorse.

"I don't forgive and forget, your grace. But I will take it to heart, your apology. Just please don't expect anything from me anymore. I'm not the same child who yearned for everyone's affection."

My lips curved into a genuine smile, the realest thing I did ever since the lake incident. Watching him acknowledge his mistakes, and apologizing for them was heart-clenching. And somehow, I felt a sense of relief.

I know things will not get better even after this. And I'm not really hoping for anything anymore. I'm just a little relieved to hear an apology from him.

Our teatime ended with the head butler announcing the arrival of a royal letter. The duke invited me to join them for dinner later tonight, which I declined. I'm not sure I want to stress myself out by being in the same room as those fools.

Marina and Scarlet were nowhere to be found when I headed back inside. And instead of lazing around in my room again, I've decided to venture into the back garden. I should have a conversation with Pandora as well.