CHAPTER 20

I HELD MY HANDS together on my lap as I sat silently

I HELD MY HANDS together on my lap as I sat silently. We were now in the sitting room with the rest of the Eveningstars. It seemed like the family carriage followed the Imperial Knights carriage on the way here. I sighed inwardly as I assessed the situation again.

If we start from the beginning, it all began after I had spotted Rin in the crowd. No, I mean, when Cassius approached me and right after that was the Emperor and the Second Prince's arrival. And then they announced Eilisha's presence.

The first meeting with the Emperor and Eilisha felt weird in a sense you could not explain. The emperor himself felt odd. Now that I think about it, it was like what Ebony said, the emperor didn't sound like himself, as if he was possessed or controlled.

And then that mana that bound Ebony in that room and controlled him in attacking Eilisha. Then I met the head butler outside when I arrived.

Ebony! Did you feel anything weird from the head butler?

I took the chance to communicate with Ebony while the elders were still busy discussing the reports.

"He met with someone through the back gate. And there's something weird about the bottle, master."

"Elisse, don't you really have any idea about Scarlet's whereabouts?" Eclipse asked, unconsciously cutting off Ebony's words.

I sighed softly. "Like I said, I gave her an order to send designs for my new dresses to the dressmaker earlier before we left for the ball. There's nothing weird around her, except that she has not arrived yet. What if she was being framed or used? What if she was kidnapped?" My voice wavered as I looked at him with tears brimming in my eyes.

Of course, it was an act needed to gain their sympathy. I couldn't act stubbornly, especially in front of a suspicious person here named Eilisha. Tch.

"You're being too rough on Elisse, brother. You have been acting like this since earlier. Do you think she would plan something like this when it was her first time officially meeting Eilisha?" Thanks to Kaiser, I have someone supporting my words.

Father could not do that since he is the head of the family. And the head needs to act fairly and just. So, he cannot show that he is being swayed by his daughter's frugal state.

I threw a glance at Eilisha and saw her menacing eyes glaring at me. Was she a hostile lady? But I heard from the servants before that she was a soft and gentle lady.

So why is she acting like this? Is it because she grew up away from her family? Does she see me as a threat?

"Everyone can go back now. I will fix this mess as the head of the family. No one needs to worry about this anymore."

I clenched my teeth as I looked at father. He looked haggard with all the stress quickly piling up in front of him.

Ebony. I need you to find all the information you can gain by tailing Eilisha and that butler. Be as discreet as possible and do not forget to pick up proofs if you can.