CHAPTER 18

ALL EYES WERE ON her as I made careful, yet quick steps towards my father

ALL EYES WERE ON her as I made careful, yet quick steps towards my father. Luckily, I didn't trip on my dress. I couldn't swallow the lump on my throat because of how my heart was racing along with my heavy footsteps.

I didn't try taking father's attention from Eilisha, and instead, stood behind Kaiser. I followed them silently as they went out of the ballroom and headed towards the powder room provided for the guests.

I could feel the heat rising in my head, but I did my best to keep myself calm. I shouldn't be affected by this. It's not like I'll be kicked out this instant just because of her return. I need to calm down.

Just as I was about to take a seat, beside Kaiser, the Emperor called me out.

"Lady Elisse, would you mind leaving us for a moment? We will only discuss a few things with the Eveningstars regarding their youngest daughter, Lady Eilisha." The emperor's words were weird on their own.

I wasn't sure whether to listen to the emperor, so I looked at them. But they were looking at the emperor as if he had gone mad and illogical for treating me as an outsider.

"Your Majesty. We can't possibly heed your request because Elisse is part of the Eveningstar Household," father insisted.

The emperor didn't seem to feel any guilt as he just smiled at him. "I understand your concern, Duke Eveningstar. But this matter is about Lady Eilisha."

"Your Majesty. Like my father said, Elisse is part of our family, so she needs to stay." This time Eclipse was the one who defended me.

I could feel my fingers trembling at the pressure surrounding me. I think I should get out of this room.

"Father. Brothers. His Majesty is just worrying about me. Is it wrong to ask for a brief time with the four of you alone?" I unconsciously bit my molars as I heard Eilisha speak.

This time, I didn't allow anyone to speak on behalf of me. I needed some fresh air anyway.

"I understand, Your Majesty. Then I'll stay outside and wait." I didn't bother looking at them and instead went out of that room. It doesn't matter. I shouldn't care about their little family reunion.

But somehow, this managed to punch a hole in my heart. My hand clenched on the chest of my dress and a heavy sigh escaped my lips. Luckily, no one was around to witness the pathetic state I was currently in.

"Are you alright?"

Or so I thought. I didn't bother glancing at the person who approached me and made a run towards the east part of the hallway.

Everything felt painful. The muscles in my body, my nerves, they were all throbbing painfully. The heat in my head was spreading quickly like wildfire. I'm aware that I might burst out crying in front of that door if I don't run and hide somewhere.

I was shaking so hard that I suddenly fell. The loud sound of my body falling on the floor echoed through the hallway.

"Hah, I can't move." A bitter laugh brushed against my parched throat as I sat on the floor. Because of my trembling legs, I accidentally fell. And now I could not bring myself to stand.