CHAPTER 11

"LILY, MY DEAR CHILD

"LILY, MY DEAR CHILD. You will have to leave this place soon," The red-haired woman said as she caressed the little girl's hair.

The little girl she called Lily looked up to her with dreary eyes. She was always aware of her mother's frail condition, and that soon, she would have to leave this world. Even so, Lily never failed to make her mother's day as joyous as possible.

After all, it was the only thing a powerless child could do for her dying mother.

The child's crimson red eyes glimmered as tears threatened to escape. Lily's small arms tightened around her mother's thin frame, silently wishing she could stay beside her instead.

However, that was impossible. Even if her mother wishes for her to stay, she still can't. The child was unaware that her mother would go to a place where humans, not even halflings, can visit.

"Lily, my child," her mother whispered. "I'm sorry for leaving you early, but I hope you will do your best to survive this cruel world." She pulled her child closer to her. She, too, doesn't want to let her go.

"Can't I come with you, mother?" Lily asked, looking up to her mother, sadness accompanying her eyes.

Her mother smiled sadly at her then she reached for her child's face. "You and I will still meet at the right time. And until then, please hold on and try to become stronger for yourself," she whispered softly.

If only she was human, she wouldn't need to have a human shell to remain in this realm. For someone like her kind, it was a miracle that she was able to take care of a human child. But the ugliest part of it all was having to part with the child she loved with all of her dark heart.

If only she could bring her daughter into her realm.

Soft sobs elicit her pursed lips as she buried her face on her mother's chest. Parting had always been hard, especially for a 7-year-old child like her. She didn't want a good place to sleep, all she ever wanted was to remain on her mother's side.

The sound of the carriage caught their attention. The woman wiped off the tears from her daughter's face. She looked down on her and forced a smile, trying to ease the sadness engulfing her child.

"Everything will be okay, my lovely child. This mother loves you with all her heart, and I will always watch over you," she said, cupping her cheeks. "Make sure to protect yourself, because mother won't be around that much to protect you, alright?"

Lily cried even more at her mother's words. She shook her head as she hugged her tightly, not wanting to let go of her.

"I love you so much, my child, my Lily," she whispered, desperate to carve her love on her daughter's heart.

"I love you, too, mother," Lily sobbed.

She allowed her child to calm herself before loosening her grip around her small frame. "You must go now, Lily. He's waiting outside."