Devastated

'You can't catch me!' I taunted.

I was running in the palace hallways with a 13 year old zuko trying to get me.

I seemed to frustrate him because he zoomed right behind me and extended his arm.

Just as he was about to catch me, I crashed into someone, and zuko slammed into me. We looked to see a very irritated azula glaring at us. Then she smiled naughtily.

'If it's a game of tag you want, it's a game of tag you'll get!' We both smiled at each other as she started to chase us around with a small orange flame in her hand. We were all having a fun time.

Until a messenger came.

He gave a scroll to ursa, who was watching us, and when she read what it said, her eyes filled with tears. We stopped and stared at her. She looked at me and took a deep breath.

'Iroh has lost his son. Lu ten did not make it.' The world spun. No. This can't be happening. Tears streamed down my face.

I ran.

I ran all the way to my room an closed the door. I was sobbing on my bed when the door creaked opened and zuko appeared. He closed the door and sat next to me. This next part wasn't expected. He hugged me. Tight. As if he was telling me everything was going to be okay. His warmth surrounded me as we both cried.

For the next few days, I stayed in my room, barely eating, not getting enough sleep at night and ignoring everyone. Maybe I wasn't meant to be here, I thought while staring at the ceiling. Later that night, I packed my things. There wasn't very much I needed. I was going to be traveling so I only needed some pants and a few tops. I grabbed my pouch filled with water, a gift from Lu ten. And my mothers necklace.

I snuck out of my room and went to zukos room, quietly tiptoed in and placed a note on his bed. I would be leaving him. I snuck past the guards and made my way into the streets. 

I was free. I could live my life. I just had to find a way to use it.

^^^^^^^^^^

I woke up. Just another boring morning. Or so I thought.

Azula barged into my room with a note in her hand and hopeless eyes. I was about to yell at her when I saw a note on my bed too. I picked it up and read it.

Dear zuko,

I'm sorry I can't tell it to you in person but I can't stay here anymore. I felt like I have no purpose in life so I ran away. By the time you wake up and read this, I will be long gone from here. But I just wanted to let you know that I've always cared for you. Thank you for always being there for me when all hope seemed lost.

Your best friend, katara

I looked up at azula who looked down glumly. 

'How can she just leave us here? Dosent she know that we still care about her?' Her eyes were glossy with tears as she turned around and walked away.

She was right. She left us here with our father. At least we had our mother.

Wrong. She disappeared the next day leaving no trace or clue where she went.

And didn't katara know that she still had us? We needed her in our lives. Without her, the whole world turned upside down.