[1]

I didn't really have your typical upbringing. I mean- I did at first,

But then the world ended.

I mean, I don't think anyone was really shocked. We always thought it might and then it just finally happened. But how it happened, now that's where it gets interesting. Agatha 616. Yep, an asteroid, heading straight for earth. I know. So obvious. So humanity came together and we did what we do best.

We shot a bunch of rockets at it! And we blew it up! And it was great!

But it wasn't. You see, the thing that makes rockets rockets- chemical compounds, a lot of 'em. Which rained back down on us and everything changed. And by 'everything' I mean cold-blooded creatures. And by 'changed' I mean mutated and started eating us to death.

Ants, Lizards, Roaches, Crocodiles. You name it. There's a lot of 'em. Actually I knew this one kid who was eaten in his sleep by a goldfish he won at a carnival. Man, Todd loved that goldfish. And that cat.

So for most of human history, if you wanted to kill a cockroach, all you needed was a shoe. Well now you need a shock gun. And sometimes even a tank. And sometimes even that doesn't work. Especially if you don't stay in the tank. Bob.

Eventually the really big ones and our military took each other out. We lost 95% of the human population in about a year. That's a lot of Bobs. And a lot of Tods.

Those of us who survived, we hid anywhere we could- bunkers, caves, panic rooms, all around the world.

So for the last seven years. I've been living in an underground bunker. It's not as bad as it sounds. Really. It's a great group of people and we all love each other. You know, it's kinda what I imagined college would have been like.

~~~

Dear Aimee, I am wide awake. I've just gotten good at not really moving or breathing. Being stuck in a survival bunker with a bunch of people who have all found their soul mate is less than ideal. Karen and Ray got together a few months ago, so they're still kinda in their honeymoon phase. It is super physical. Good for them. They're both very attractive and apparently quiet flexible. Hey, life's short. Especially down here. After Tim's parents were eaten by a swarm of termites he and Ava became inseparable.

So, pretty much everyone's coupled up down here. Our first baby was born last winter. It was super emotional. Welcome to the apocalypse kid. The food sucks. At least you'll never know what you're missing.

Kala and Connor got together after Carol died. Carol was a cow who ate a box of laundry detergent. And now we only have one cow. Her name's Gertie. Gertie is great.

Gertie's not our only food source. We actually have a hunting party that brings back whatever they can from the surface. It was easier in the beginning, you know, before we ran out of bullets. Facing down one of those things with a janky handmade weapon is no walk in the park.

Or so they tell me. I don't go on the hunting parties. They need me in the kitchen. I'm kinda the, uh, the chef of the bunker. Everyone likes my minestrone.

Being the only single person in the bunker has its perks too. I get to hang out with Mavis. Of course she's not much for conversation anymore. Her core battery's shot, just like every other Mavis, I'd imagine. Actually never seen a working one.

Sure wish you were here, Aimee. I'd love for you to meet everyone. Maybe we could do a little target practice together. It's kinda my thing. Kinda.