[4]

They climbed all the way up the mountain, Joel falling behind not used to the work out. Joel told Minnow and Clyde why he left his Colony, and how he met Olive and Boy. Olive didn't tell much, which wasn't a surprise since Joel himself doesn't know her back story either.

"That's a good- good little workout." Joel stated. Olive chuckled as he collapsed onto the ground.

"A girl?" Clyde asked.

"Yeah." Joel answered as Minnow grabbed his crossbow.

"You left a nice, safe colony to travel all the way to the ocean for a girl you ain't seen since you were- what? 17?" Clyde asked in disbelief.

Olive looked at Joel, "told you it was stupid."

"I know how it sounds." Joel said to both Olive and Clyde. "It's crazy. But- I don't know. If you knew our connection, you'd probably feel differently. We actually just got back in touch over the radio a few week ago. And it's still there. It's just magical. And so sweet. She loves me too, so a 'pick up right where we left off' kind of thing. It's still there."

"Oh barf." Olive muttered from her spot next to Minnow as the girl handed Joel his crossbow. Joel gave an annoyed glance at Liv.

"You ever hear the term 'fools errand'?" Clyde asked.

"All right. What? So I'm a fool because I believe in true love?" Joel asked.

Olive looked at him in disbelief. He was so set on those entire romance things. Like he was gonna like this epic romance movie where he fights the monsters and win the girl. Olive knew it was gonna go downhill at some point like it always does. She wanted to say yes, but she kinda had no right considering she's actually never fallen in love.

"No you're a fool because you brought a random girl into your plan, you two are out here alone," Clyde stated as they watched Joel get ready to shoot his crossbow, "you don't know a thing about survival,"

Joel released the arrow, it not even getting close to the target. "Wind." Joel said.

"You shoot for shit." Clyde continued. "Yet you got an attitude like you're some kind of noble warrior on the wings of love. Doesn't work like that."

Olive smiled with amusement, "I like you." She pointed to Clyde as Minnow loaded another arrow to his crossbow.

"Okay, super encouraging speech." Joel said quietly, Minnow handing him his weapon, he sighed shooting it again, it going high up into the air once again not eve close to the target. "Damn it."

"You're braining out." Minnow told him.

"Huh?"

"Braining out. Thinking too much." Minnow explained, "I always clear my mind and say to myself, 'a needle through water'."

"'A needle through water'?" Olive asked.

"Trust me." Minnow said, "My dad was the best archer in my colony."

"Oh really? Okay, then how come he's not the one giving me the lessons?" Joel asked looking at Clyde.

Clyde looked at Joel, "Cause I'm not her dad." He stated.